Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-05-2003 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber

May Challenge - M - MOD

Hey guys, I have taken my images but have to take out the background.. i have some things to do first off that just need to be done.. after that I will be right back on it and have them posted later tonight user added image.. cya then.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 2 02-05-2003 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber
Sheesh, alright that sure took a while! Well, i got new ram now!! I have ddr so I sold my old 2 cards (256 each) and bought 1.5 gigs of ddr ram user added image. Its amazingly made a difference, that i didnt think possible! I can run Maya, Photoshop, Winamp, and another maya to tag onto that if i wanted! W0000T. Anyways, heres the mug shot of me user added image. Actually its just a refrence atm.. im thinking that Im going to model exactly off of my real face, and probably by the time im done it will look like a toon anyways user added image.. if not i will extend the face and whatnot user added image. Ok, i actually have another one of these the same, but without the t-shirt on user added image.. didnt think you guys would of liked to of seen that anyways.

BTW, from this render can you tell that my eyes dont adjust to sunlight well? As i squint at the sun outside while my picture is taken, not adjusted to natural sunlight.. as i live my life in hibernation in my pit (house). Heheh.

Last edited by M; 02-05-2003 at 05:14 AM.
# 3 02-05-2003 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
the beast is unleashed user added image
nah just joking good luck M user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 4 02-05-2003 , 04:31 PM
Cool. Go ahead and do whatever you were going to do to your ref pic, it'd be funny to see what you had in mind. user added image

"It's supposed to be hard, if it was easy, everyone would do it."
# 5 07-05-2003 , 09:34 AM
we wanna see an update man !!! hehehe

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 6 07-05-2003 , 09:41 AM
Kevin
damn dude...that some shirt

you better get on icq so we can talk about it user added image

# 7 08-05-2003 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
LOL, yea kevin.. heheh.. i will talk to you about it tommorow user added image. Actually, it was just really hot that day and so i wore one of my hawaiian t-shirts user added image.. i dont usually dress like that. Anyways, guys I will have updates soon.. right after today, seeing Its the final round against me and GCastro :O. After that im on this!

# 8 09-05-2003 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
Ok, this morning i was able to spend a good hour on it user added image. I dont have anything really postable yet, as i have just started the eye. I had to make 2 new refrences that were higher quality than the above. Anyways, the refrences are now in maya, aligned perfectly and have been put into layers etc. Im working on that "work your way from the eye out" style user added image, with extrude polys and such. Should be a new approach for me.. so thats why im tryin it. Ok, i will be postin updates tonight user added image.

# 9 11-05-2003 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys, i have been able to work on it for a hour or so now.. I am working my way out user added image. Thanks to Rich, I now found out how to model this way. Its working out good user added image. Anyways, I am going out for a while now.. Hopefully I will have most of the face done by tonight, maybe more if i catch on user added image. Ok, ttyl.

# 10 11-05-2003 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
Alright, here is where I am at so far.. It looks really bad without the nose, and without lips.. but its coming along.. lots of tweaking is going to be needed to make this look kinda like me user added image. ANyways, let me know what you think, C&C welcome.

# 11 12-05-2003 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber
Ok, i have added the lips and the nose. My eyes need tweaking, heh.. all squinty. Anyways, let me know what you think i need to work on. Other than that I will be using Cube modelling to do the rest of the head, and then attatch it onto the face i have. C&C welcome user added image.

# 12 12-05-2003 , 03:45 AM
The Maya Mountain
Nice job so far!

# 13 12-05-2003 , 06:23 AM
Subscriber
Thanks mike user added image. Well, heres my final update for the day.. its the BASIC shape of his head.. it still needs work in the jaw area, and neck.. as its kinda just merging and making me look like jabba the hut. Anyways, C&C welcome user added image.

EDIT, just looking at it for a few seconds haunts me. user added image, yep.. definately needs a lot of work.

# 14 12-05-2003 , 05:38 PM
Subscriber
ello,

going okay! - the face looks good!

ithink maybe you started to curve backwards a little too soon. meaning that above the eyebrows the higher up verts could do with bring forward a few. Maybe just space out the verts all over the back of the head - seems a little squashed. The face does look good tho!

cheers

Rich
# 15 13-05-2003 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber
THanks rich user added image.. i will work on that today for sure! I still havent done much front viewport tweaking since i attatched the head to the face user added image.