Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-11-2003 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber

Aligning vertices?

Hi,

Is there a way to align selected vertices, horizontally or vertically?

Thanks,
Dan

# 2 18-11-2003 , 01:40 AM
Use the scale tool, should work good for you.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 18-11-2003 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Generally that's what I use, however sometimes the selection is at an angle, likewise the scale tool is also at an angle. The results are produced from that odd angle. What I have to do from this point is take the rotate tool and rotate to either the x or y plane.

I hate to use Adobe Illustrator as an example since it is 2D, but it too has x & y coordinates. In Illustrator, I can select any number of points and average them all to either the x or y plane. It's perfectly straight.

It seems with the scale tool, I have a few steps and I'm guessing whether the selected vertices are perfectly straight or not.

The scale tool is fine, but I was wondering if there was another method.

Thanks for your expertise,
Dan

# 4 18-11-2003 , 02:28 AM
Poly or nurbs smooth tool would work also just use it a low level.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 18-11-2003 , 03:38 AM
# 6 18-11-2003 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt, that's a helpful alternative.

Just curious, if one is using Maya to create something with a lot of hard edges and exact alignment, such as a building does one refer to the scale tool? Perhaps, it is in the way I'm using it, but it seems I sort of eyeball it...meaning that it appears straight but I have no coordinate menu to verify it. Or do I?

In the case of a building, wouldn't that be necessary?

Your ( or anyone's ) thought's are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

# 7 18-11-2003 , 03:41 AM
I use scale all the time for lining up straight edges

# 8 18-11-2003 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
mtmckinley, thanks for the thread. Just learned something new. I wasn't aware that there were other viewpoints. Now going through all of them, I forgotten the default. I'm assuming it's world?

I really intend to download more tutorials about Maya. After the Dragon tut, I started my own model and I wanted to reach a stopping point. Due to my real job that stopping point has been prolonged. Nevertheless, I'll post in a day or two and then proceed with some tuts which I then can apply to my model.

again, thanks everyone.

# 9 18-11-2003 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, Kurt. I appreciate your help. :-)