Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 29-11-2005 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
I bet their marketing devision is really proud of putting this on their site.

'Acclaimed for its ease of use, XSI v5.0 introduces a comprehensive set of migration tools for Maya users. New interface layouts and navigation modes let artists transfer their existing skills and muscle memory to XSI, and migrate in days, not weeks.'

It sounds SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD... I hear the modelling, dynamics and animation are prefered over maya. Wonder how the handle hair?

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>

Last edited by iron_tick; 29-11-2005 at 02:07 PM.
# 62 29-11-2005 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
I think XSI is definitely worth a closer look, but I also think that Maya's dynamics/particles are still superior to those of XSI - even though it needs more noodling (so to speak) to get really good results. But that's the Maya way of doing things anyway: everything is a ritual.

Modeling capabilities seem to be more or less on par (except NURBS, where Maya still excels), even though XSI's SubDs are said to be much faster than Maya's.

I'm not sure about the hair(y) system, but I believe it's based on Joe Alter's Shave and a Haircut engine.

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!

Last edited by Renderizer; 29-11-2005 at 02:31 PM.
# 63 03-12-2005 , 12:19 AM
Maya/Max Bastard Child $2000>>>>>>>LMAO!!!

Hmm yes this sux.. I used to use max..and even wrote a plug-in for it. Maya is leaps and bounds ahead of it, IMHO.

But, I'm not up to date on MAX tho these days... the Pelt thing sounds pretty dope.

Maya has so much more capability. Its a fact.

MAX plug-ins are cool sometimes but they tend to suck because often they aren't written by the core software developers and can cause incompatibilities/crashes. When the main software is upgraded to its next version.. you gotta make sure all the plug-ins you bought still work and then go spend mucho denaro to upgrade them. Now this is true of MEL scripting.. as well but.. most MEL scripts you can get for free...and you don't need MEL scripts for things that are already core features of MAYA like cloth, hair, fur, particles, fluids,... you name it.. Maya is the real deal.

I would hate...HATE.. to see Maya get turned into a Plug-in package like MAX.. bleh.

Autodesk should Trash MAX and take the 1 or 2 good features in it and add them to MAYA and retain the name, interface, and all the good that is MAYA.

I'm very worried about this turn of events.

mayafreak3