Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 11-05-2007 , 06:02 AM
Yeah I found the reference images to be a little on the Paris Hilton side. I have 3 versions of the chest sm, med, and hubba hubba!

# 62 11-05-2007 , 06:08 AM
Subscriber
so go by eye (experience) and do it sort of rough, not exactly as the refs and go in later for refinement??

back to web design now but maybe I can do some more tonight.., I am determined to get this finished. (the android)

take it easy and life will be easy
# 63 11-05-2007 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
Im happier already, and the android, unlike most of the women Ive known.., isn't going anywhere in a hurry user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 64 11-05-2007 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
side on for closer inspection on the effects of gravity...

Attached Thumbnails

# 65 11-05-2007 , 04:34 PM
Yep the breast is a lovely shape. It should be like a tear drop shape with the weight flowing down and outwards.

For a great (I mean spectacluar!!!) tutorial on modeling the female anatomy you should check out the total3d tutorial on modeling, rigging, and texture Eva Wild series. It is a 3ds max tutorial but aside from the proportion editing of vertices which Maya sadly lacks there is nothing that cannot be translated directly into the maya modeling work flow.

He uses an edge extrusion technique that literally builds the model one major muscle and skeletal group at a time. It is simply brilliant!

Cheers,
Rick M

addendum:

For an equally great tutorial on modeling the male anatomy consider freedom of teaches modeling the male anatomy. It is maya based and although it is a bit dated it is an excellent tutorial. The instructor really knows his stuff!

Last edited by ctbram; 19-05-2007 at 09:58 AM.
# 66 11-05-2007 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
thanks, I'll move ahead.

umm?? this tut sounds interesting user added image user added image :bandit:

late here, have to 'work?' tomorrow

made my first site today with dreamweaver and flash, pretty tired, been studyig both (and the rest of the series) intensly for a while now and put it to the test today. its only local.

cheers:

Last edited by mirek03; 11-05-2007 at 06:14 PM.
# 67 12-05-2007 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber
end of CD 2, I'm not happy with this but Im moving forward anyway or I will just give up, I'll go back in later.., CT, I see what you mean about needing a lattice deformer at a later stage. I tried the smooth tool but as you said.., the lumpy bumpy tool.

any thoughts anyone??

Attached Thumbnails

# 68 12-05-2007 , 02:58 PM
Senior Software Developer
The Boob (:blushuser added image is far to big for that model. Unless your doing a Jordan on it :p. Anyway, It needs to be shrunk in width and needs to be roughly the same size all the way.
user added image

THis will show what I mean.

Keep it up m8. No pain, no gain.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 69 13-05-2007 , 05:28 AM
Subscriber
umm?? I ve been trying to get it to hang slightly to one side so it doesn't stick out un-naturally.

Im just doing the best I can and, though its not the best way to work, Im going to fix the proportions later, as far as breasts are concerned anyway.., Ive been stuck on them for a week. (against my will!) :bandit:

If I just don't keep going I will lose momentum.., and with so much uni work??? Maya is what I do to relax (I gotta get a life) user added image

thanks user added image

nice model.., it seems everyone on the forum has made one

any Androids out there, dont be shy, post them here user added image that would be interesting, to see different versions of the same tut.

# 70 15-05-2007 , 04:31 AM
Subscriber
heres the latest, a bit rough but Im no expert and so thats the way it is for now, no use trying to do what I can not do, practice makes perfect

Attached Thumbnails

# 71 15-05-2007 , 08:48 AM
Looks like you may have missed a couple partial creases. Not to worry though you can always add them individually.

Here is a trick that I hope can help you. With the subd surface selected press ctrl-a to get the attributes. Select the subd surface tab and in that tab you will see check boxes for edges, vertices, etc. Check the box for edges and uncheck the box for geometry. What will be left is just the subd edges and no geomtry to clutter up your view.

This should make selecting the boat load of edges you need to crease more visible and also it should be easier to spot any edges you may have missed.

Cheers,
Rick M

# 72 15-05-2007 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
hi mate, no I didn't miss them, well I did but the mesh was such a tangle I couldnt put them in without getting some really bad creases?? Well it was something like that, the mesh just sort of got out of control?? maybe I tried too hard to get th 'correct' shape? and just made it asymmetrical?? (read; a mess user added image )

thanks I will try that.., man this program holds a lot of secrets.

I just taught myself dream weaver and flash during the last two weeks maybe three and on over load mentally, couldn't get to uni yesterday, exhausted. played with maya instead.., a bit naughty user added image two web sites to build, one business, one narrative, business one built, narrative is a challenge.

got to go there now but cant get off this chair, then i gotta go and do a rehearsal for hat pop clip?? wish I was on the beaches in Indonesia user added image