Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-06-2009 , 05:48 PM

Question about schools?

Hi guys!! so here my other situation. I was one of those who went to school Graduated, and it wasnt what it should have been. It was a new program i was the guinea pig, i got the shaft so to speak in a number of classes. For example 3D modeling and animation, there was 3D modeling but no animation.

So i feel ive come to the point where i need some in person help. I feel im at the point where i can only teach myself so much, and need someone to help me out. You guys have been great over the years, you were the first 3d forum i ever visited, and helped me out alot.

So i was thinking of going back to school but more 3D focused. Not sure if its to late But any ideas. Heres one place i found, its relatively close to me

https://www.cdiabu.com/overview.php

# 2 01-06-2009 , 06:32 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
TBH, if you've already been to school and it didn't help.... then why go back? You don't NEED to go to school to learn CG... seriously! Everyone I know that did go to school to learn CG, don't know any more than those of us that didn't. In fact, they usual know more trivial facts that us, but when it comes down to it.... they spent most of their time listening to lectures, and demos, while the rest of us got down to business.

Please give this a read:

https://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/...t_the_Industry

It's the most eye opening this I have read in a long time.
user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 01-06-2009 , 06:35 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Watched the link you posted i wouldn't bother, the studentreels sucked(no offense) and if i look at the website it's all about cashing in;
-certificate for whiping your arse
-certificate for opening Photoshop
-certificate for opening Maya
-certificate for the 3D Basic course(you need prior mentioned certificates to attend this course).

Every school/bussines is about earning money, but i would go to a school/bussines who are passionate about what they do

Now what i don't understand is that you let yourself being used like a guinea pig, i don't know which school you attended, but the courses i would like to follow if i had the cash,are costing around $20- 40 K and i certainly would like to know more about the institution and the quality of prior students' work, before i deposit the money

So whatever you choose, do some research upfront where possible, ask if you can attend a class to see if this is something you like, ask if you can speak to some graduates, maybe speak to a company if they hired someone from that school.

If i had the money i would go to one of the following courses/institutions;
-GNOMON
-Vancouver Film School
-Escape studios
-Animation mentor

user added image

# 4 01-06-2009 , 07:07 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! Well Heres what happened. I went to school first for animal care, i was going to work with reptiles, but i couldnt bear the memorization it was to much. So i switched to graphic design. Spent 2 years at that, but i got burnt out and tired of having my creativty limited. They were always having me to projects going against my interests, i can understand why but it sucked all the fun out of it. So then i heard they were doing a video game major. So i changed to that, and by this time it didnt make sense for me to not grad, since i was there so long anyway.

What i mean by being the gueina pig is that i was the first to graduate, and also i went through the classes, being it a new program they saw what worked and what didnt. Alot of classes it being such ended up being crap liek the one i mentioned before, and digital painting for example i was all excited about but i left there not learning anything. Also they changed the curicllum when they got new heads of it, but i got stuck locked in the old one

If i knew what i wanted to do from the start i wouldnt have gone there, and i would have saved a but load of money. Is the Program better now Yes, but when i was there it being new you get what im saying. I ended up spending more time on math and buisness classes, than my artwork or art related ones.

In the end i ended up trying to teach myself most everything, and felt i didnt learn much at all when i left having to do with what i wanted to do from them

# 5 01-06-2009 , 07:11 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Isnt there some sort of middle ground?
I have a vague recollection of 3d world mentioning an online course, thats like going to uni, but you do it from home. Ill try and dig out the article

# 6 01-06-2009 , 07:11 PM
So i left feeling this void like i didnt get a through grounding in 3d, plus my portfolio suffered as a result so i feeling i am playing catch up. Thank for the links to those schools ill check them out.

# 7 01-06-2009 , 07:15 PM
thanks man id appreciate if you could find it user added image I was thinking of online classes, the only issue is i owe a lot of money. And seeing as im struggling to get a job, any job i might have to defer my loans again.

# 8 01-06-2009 , 07:36 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

# 9 01-06-2009 , 07:51 PM
Cool thanks ill check it out!! user added image

# 10 01-06-2009 , 07:53 PM
# 11 04-06-2009 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber

school

O.K so heres a thought on what I have encountered in the design world for myself.

I have a BFA in Illustration. I have worked in the industry for six years as an illustrator and prop manufacture. With plenty of experience and success,... I reached a certain level,..but when it comes to reaching to the highest,..or the promotion you want. You seem to get overlooked and the job almost always goes to those with a higher education. (aka master degree). So I have decided to go back to school. AAU was my choice and it’s been working out well for me so far.

# 12 06-06-2009 , 10:48 PM
Cool! Thanks for sharing your experience kyoteartuser added image

# 13 10-06-2009 , 05:47 PM
I actually thought of applying for gnomons. There student work is amazing but also intimidating. I have no doubt i have the talent to do it, the question is can i survive the pressure and still throw out quality work at the same time, on time. Plus if i did there high end 3d program it would be an other 90k on top of what i already owe making it over 200k.

But there is the lesser program for 13k

# 14 10-06-2009 , 06:16 PM
200 K? as in $200000? that's insane!!!!And you are actually considering this?
This will cost you at least 30 years to pay back no institution is worth that.
If you want my advice;
Work on an aspect (modeling/shading etc)make a reel and apply for a job and get some workexperience in the field.
And unless you win the lottery don't even dream about applying for a loan.

# 15 10-06-2009 , 06:52 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Finally..... someone who actually looking at things my way user added image

Like I said before, Read this:

https://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php...ut_the_Industry

0k + determination + talent = Job = living it up!

200K + determination + talent = job = paying off loans!

OHHH, NO I DIDN'T!!! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 10-06-2009 at 06:55 PM.