Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 22-09-2003 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
Certainly it won't be judged in the end, but it just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside....

# 47 22-09-2003 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
Hehe yeah, it certainly looks good to me man! user added image

Luvverly !!!! user added image Regards Scraggy

# 48 22-09-2003 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
Hmm maybe it's just my wierd imagination, but the piccy of your pipes - Last but one... Looks like a 'fat person strapped to a toilet'

Hmmm I better stop eating mushrooms for brekky.... user added image

Scraggy

# 49 22-09-2003 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
Oops!! Sorry to provoke such ungraceful image in your head.... Lucky that will not be the final shot to submit! They do look like two huge rusty knees don't they....user added image

# 50 25-09-2003 , 01:41 PM
2 more wins?

in need of ego boosting are we? I think this should have been a normal entry. I've only been using 3d apps a few months but already I would put my work in the normal category. I know I wont win but that's not why I'm taking part anyway.

<a href="https://www.boygirldesign.co.uk">My Business</a>
# 51 25-09-2003 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
whoa this is very impressive. Great job so far, great texturing. I personally love the gun turrets :thumbsup:

Lets see more updates user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 52 25-09-2003 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
Spoiler, maybe you're right, it does look like normal entry, I just didn't expect it this way. I wasn't very familiar with this theme of guns and pipes and turrets and stuff and I wasn't sure I could get the right feeling for it, so I needed to find lots of reference (I grow up playing with Barbie, you see :p )

See how this one goes!

# 53 29-09-2003 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
Nice going HappyLemon user added image
That is a excellent challenge entry.
Really looks like an in game screenshot.
Congratulations, and well done for completing the challenge.

Chris

# 54 29-09-2003 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Chris, I was wondering who is going to have the first post in 5 days and you beat me to it. Your character is smashing! I hope we get more people finishing too!

I thought about going normal level for the next one, but Mike announced that it's going to be animation.... user added image I've never done animation before and I think noobie is still right where I should be.

# 55 29-09-2003 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
Wow! And thanks, seeing your textures has helped me visualise what I was supposed to do... (Btw - If u get chance, what was the upside down triangular shaped texture used for?)

Great work, great textures....

# 56 29-09-2003 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber
Very nice work. On the normal / newbie thing I have never made a low poly figure or painted textures for one before so not having done something is no reason to stay at one level. I rather agree with the point Spolier made before (particularly about the thing you said about wanting to win newbie more), but it is your choice not anyone elses.

Good work this challenge, another cool piece of work.

# 57 30-09-2003 , 12:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
Nice job! Glad you were able to finish. As I offered Chris, if you'd like, I can send you a critique. Let me know. user added image

# 58 30-09-2003 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
Critiques, yes yes! Critique from everyone is very welcome! user added image

That triangle thingy is the triangle-shaped support under those blocks around the top of the building, if that make sense, scraggy.

Oh, and I wish there were some rules or guide lines to follow for the noobie/normal dilemma, it's a rather hard decision, for me at least. user added image

# 59 30-09-2003 , 06:29 AM
The Maya Mountain
That decision is up to you. However, if it is felt by the mods that your entry is of OBVIOUS above-average quality (and I mean, blatantly obvious) then we may request you to change your percieved status.

Now, having said that, it can seem that because we HAVEN'T, you may feel inadequate. However, I can say with good confidense that your entry is above average compared to most newbie class entries of the past. I would be comfortable if you decided to change to normal in the next challenge. You still have a good bit of improvement and practice to go, however, so I do not see it as being mandatory, at least, not yet. user added image

I hope you take that as the compliment that it was meant. lol

This would also go vice versa... if an entry looked like the artist would benefit from being changed to Newbie class, I would hope the artist in question would not feel slighted by the request, and instead feel challenged to improve himself to meet the high standards that he obviously wants to achieve.

Also, all critiques for those that finish will be given by email or personal message after judging has taken place on or near after Oct 1st. user added image I will only offer critique for those that finish according to the rules of the challenge. If those that have not finished would still like some sort of critique, feel free to ask in private.