Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-10-2003 , 03:33 AM

creating surface with non-flat closed curve

hi, i haven't played around with maya for a long time and just got back into it. my statue as newbie still stands and require some help!

ok, i'm modelling the akira bike and am having some trouble modelling the body. i made an outline of the body and closed the curve. i could make it into a planar surface but i notice that planars are only for flat curves. when i move cvs for the curve on another axis the surface disappears and i get an error. i can't use loft or boundary since it's a single curve. so how can i create a non-flat surface using single closed curve??? hopefully the below picture will better explain what i'm doing. thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-10-2003 , 09:22 AM
i think you've tried the only NURBS operation that can turn a single curve into a surface. i'm a noob also so i could be wrong. though i wouldn't use a single curve in this case, i would use a birail operation. looks good!

# 3 29-10-2003 , 10:34 AM
you could cut it in four segments and use boundary or square and then deform/bevel it, but i definitely would cut it in fours and add some more profiles and then birrail it (or create enough profiles to loft it)

# 4 29-10-2003 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
your pretty much stuck at cutting that into 4's and trying a birail or boundry. one of those will be the least work for you.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 30-10-2003 , 02:54 AM
something you might want to take into consideration. its not my image (think its a nice pic, so i had it on my desktop) don't quite recall where i got it but this person did a really good job.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 30-10-2003 , 03:33 AM
hahah funny that you posted that img, i saw that long long time ago and it was the inspiration behind it. but i'm actually modelling from mcfarland's toy.

that img and 3 more can be found here, https://psychoform.com under 3d hard surfaces.after seeing those imgs i modified my model somewhat

thanks for the comments. it's really frustrating for someone just starting to learn this app because i know exactly what i need to do but i do not know the tools well enough to utilize them or even find them in the ui. and right now, i don't really know what surfacing tools should be used for what purpose because i don't have enough experience with them to know the advantages and disadvantages. i'll definitely give it a shot with birail. thanks again

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 01-11-2003 , 10:50 PM
help again! i'm very much stuck with something so basic.. i decided to go with birail as many of you suggested but i can't even cut the curve into 4 pieces! can someone tell me how to use "cut curve" and "intersect curve" tools? thank you, i can't do anything unless i figure those two out.

# 8 02-11-2003 , 08:48 AM
i suggest that you redraw your curves (make sure the end points touch) maybe someone can suggest something better. ahh well, you live and you learn right? i'm stuck on something myself.