Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-11-2012 , 01:07 PM

Mental Ray Default Lights?

Hi everyone, I've a simple question and sorry if it was asked earlier.

How do I switch back to Mental ray's default light after other lights has been setup?

I need to check textures frequently and rendering with all lights is expensive. I tried creating a new render layer with no lights but no good.(which by the way used to work with Maya software)
Exporting the lights and deleting them afterwards works but I loose my light linkings. So still no good.

Please share your workflow methods on approach to lighting and texturing a scene. I'm still a noob.

# 2 25-11-2012 , 06:10 PM
The thin red line
You need good lighting to check the textures, what you can do is use "render regions" to re-render only the parts of the render that the texture is on...............dave

# 3 25-11-2012 , 06:32 PM

You need good lighting to check the textures, what you can do is use "render regions" to re-render only the parts of the render that the texture is on...............dave

Thanks Dave, but at times I want just the default light to work along with other lights. Could you tell me how the default light is linked to the camera initially and how I can recreate it? I just know there's a directional lightuser added image.

# 4 25-11-2012 , 06:56 PM
The thin red line
I would group all your light then just hide them or put them in a layer and just create a direction light as your default..................dave

# 5 26-11-2012 , 02:08 AM

I would group all your light then just hide them or put them in a layer and just create a direction light as your default..................dave

But it won't move with the camera as it does for the default light initially.

# 6 26-11-2012 , 05:51 AM
Technical Director

But it won't move with the camera as it does for the default light initially.

Parent it to your camera.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 26-11-2012 , 04:49 PM

Parent it to your camera.

Yup managed to get it working by parenting it. Thanks.user added image