Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-11-2006 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber

Extrude and local/world handle

Hi,

Im trying to follow the mech tutorial however I am having a problem when trying to extrude.

I am trying to extrude the top edges of a poly towards the centre. In the tutorial this is encomplished by selecting the top edges and selecting extrude edge. Then on the manipulator tool the little circle (according to Maya help is called the local/world tool) is pressed and the manipulator is centred. Then the edges can evenly be moved towards the centre of the poly creating a flat 'top'.

However when I press this circle, the manipulator does not move to the centre of the poly. Then when I try to extrude inwards, the edges move towards the manipulator, not to the centre of the poly!

Its hard to explain so I uploaded an image to help try and explain what I mean.

user added image

Can anyone help?

# 2 24-11-2006 , 07:48 PM
Center your objects pivot point,
modify>center pivot

When you click the circle to change from local to world axis the manipulator will go to the objects pivot point which seems to be at 000 space in your scene.

So if you center your pivot point on your object and then move it to 000 world space you may have better luck user added image.

# 3 24-11-2006 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Laurie, I selected centre pivot, but it still wasn't working.

Someone from another forum told me there was a bug in Maya 8 with extruding and that it didnt effect everyone. To fix it, I needed to download the following mel script:

https://www.alias.com/eng/support/ma...PolyExtrude.mel

And replace the file performPolyExtrude.mel, located in C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya8.0\scripts\others

It worked a treat. I can finally continue with my project. Thanks again for you help Laurie.

# 4 28-12-2006 , 01:09 PM
proof that the search function really helps.

i had the same problem and was really getting bummed out about it, even discouraged. who would have thought that it was a bug and not something i was doing wrong. especially since this is a very common and crucial tool.

first post here. hi all.