Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-04-2006 , 07:44 PM

How to bend wings?

Sup everybody,

I have created a set of wings and tried to animate them somewhat flapping. I tried to do this using Bind Skin smooth and rigid but they did not animate the way i wanted it to. What would you suggest to make the wings bend and flap? Ive only been on maya for a week now and bought books but i find that the books suck! Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-04-2006 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber

# 3 24-04-2006 , 09:39 AM
I am presently working on a project that will do this, but alas, it will be several months at least, most likely, before I complete it.
I have at present completed a basic framework, definately not yet complete, of the skeleton layout I plan on using.

It will work in the same style and principals as the Walkerman project that I created . . . this picture is the prototype skeleton . . .

Attached Thumbnails

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 4 24-04-2006 , 03:43 PM
The Maya Mountain
that tutorial seems like it over complicates things, but still, good things to learn, though.

# 5 25-04-2006 , 09:07 AM
I'd suggest looking at the anatomy of a birds wing. People often don't realise how many joints there are. Basically a birds wing is like your arm, except all the fingers are fused together.

user added image

# 6 25-04-2006 , 10:17 AM
Couldent you create the bones, joints etc then use an IK spline to control the flapping of the wings?

# 7 26-04-2006 , 04:03 AM
Looks like I could stand to modify my prototype based on that diagram!

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche