Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-04-2008 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
# 2 15-04-2008 , 02:30 PM
Whats is it about? Didnt really get that much from the intro/trailer just some dudes in seats bouncing to Minefields.

The modeling could do with a tweek. Also for me, personally I'm not really with the colour scheme.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 15-04-2008 , 06:06 PM
Acid44
inspired me to listen to prodigy again...

the timing and effects were cool but as gster said, what was it for?

# 4 15-04-2008 , 10:49 PM
Senior Software Developer
!!!

Dont get it...

Not much in the way of animation, and tbh, looked a little dodgy.

Anyway I dont get it

!!!

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 15-04-2008 , 11:01 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
some info would be nice.....

# 6 16-04-2008 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
its just the intro to a comedy I'm working on. its going to be a lot like robot chicken. I didn't finish the flik yet but I kinda liked how the intro turned out. the red and white color scheme and constant bouncing is all about keeping a distinct style.
thanks for the comments though

Last edited by danotronXX; 16-04-2008 at 10:29 PM.
# 7 16-04-2008 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD
!!!

Dont get it...

Not much in the way of animation, and tbh, looked a little dodgy.

Anyway I dont get it

!!!

Agreed. What's with the thread title? Next time post something a little more useful, or relevant. You can ask in your post if we like it.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 8 18-04-2008 , 10:00 PM
hey - danotronXX can call his thread whatever he likes! it's just about getting you to look at it. user added image

I thought it was pretty good - the camera moves were nice and i thought it was well edited. might be nice to get some variation and detail with the figures, but i can also see you were also going for a simple look.

i liked the way that they had their arms against them and then beating to the music and i liked the green dinosaur a lot user added image though the title screen looked a bit lazy.

i might try a newer song - i like the prodigy and mindfields, but it just makes it seem a little dated to me. that's minor though.

it'd be really cool to see a wip progress thread of one of your animations - they're always funny - that car race was crazy! user added image

# 9 18-04-2008 , 10:17 PM

Originally posted by arran
hey - danotronXX can call his thread whatever he likes! it's just about getting you to look at it. user added image

Exactly man, but the prodigy dated!! Comon man!

Yeah Dantron, I would really like to see some WIP's of your stuff, maybe the collective minds of SM would help you out!

Looking forward to the rest of the animation, just didnt get the intro.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 18-04-2008 , 10:24 PM
ha! yeah - i guess i didn't mean dated - it just might be nice to have a newer bangin tune.

nothing wrong with a bit of charly though. user added image

# 11 18-04-2008 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
aaaah thank you Aaron for finally some constructive criticism on simplymaya.com lol!!user added image
yea maybe it wasn't enough of a vid for a post but at the same time ive seen people post bouncing spheres and then people getting orgasms out of them.
yea excellent point on how the song is outdated. I've noticed I've been doing that rather often with my recent work. I was listenin back to the matrix soundtrack and figured how sweet it sounded and hoped nobody would recall but I was dead wrong lol.
yea I'm currently working on 3 movies currently. 2 of which have a deep storyline and cool martial arts scenes and another thats a comedy with very cheesy 2d and 3d animations. I'll probably get hammered on critiques for that one lol but i dont care too much, i think its turning out pretty funny in my book.
again, tks for the comments and keep them coming, they make my next movies better than the last!!

Last edited by danotronXX; 18-04-2008 at 10:52 PM.
# 12 24-04-2008 , 12:14 AM
The thing about Robot Chicken is, it's already been done. If you're going to bother to do something worth your time, do something original.

Here's some of my thoughts...

1) The white guys look very familiar. Is that character your design or did you 'borrow' it from somewhere? Can't think of who's reel I seen it on, but the main idea of it was that they made fun of the T pose in it. If I find it I'll post here.

2) The blue guy swinging his arm needs fixin'. His arm is all out of shape when he bends it. Unless he is following your idea of "cheesy" animation, then you hit it spot on. The T-Rex also needs some animation work.

3). I agree with everyone else in that there is absolutely no subject matter in it. If it's an intro to a show, then why not show some clips from the show?

I will say that I like your camera control. Very creative movement there.

The thing about beginning animators is that they tend to see things in their own mind that they think is kewl and expect the rest of us to also see it while giving us little information to go by. Your ideas might seem kewl to you, but unless your audience also thinks that, then you have failed.

There is a phrase that, as an animator, you must live by... "Show us, don't tell us". Your films must express fully your ideas and insights rather than leave us asking questions or have us guessing as to what you were trying to express.

Oh, and don't knock the bouncing ball animations. ALL beginning animators should do it. It's the basis for learning timing, anticipation, weight, squash & stretch, as well as a few other principles of animation. Anyone can bounce the ball, but not everyone can animate it. Can you? I sure would like to see you try.

As for the name of the thread... eh... I'm 50/50 on it. You're welcome to name it what you like, but it would be more helpful to put a subject to it. Something like... "Animation: Critiques & Comments Please". Also something in the body of the message would be nice. Posting anonymous links could be misconstrued as an attempt to defraud the TOS here and get you banned. Please include at least a description next time.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu