Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-04-2009 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber

i WAS going to show you my new setup but...

all my games and consoles have been stolen

my dad was home, he was sleeping because he was on night shift, and i'm VERY VERY GLAD that he's not hurt

i just got my ps3 with metal gear solid 4 two weeks ago and i was going to take a picture of it under my desk to show you guys my new toy but i can't now

they took my ps3, ps2, limited edition psp, the other psp, all my psp games, all my psx and ps2 games that were in my room, my bluetooth dongles, my camera (so i can't take pictures now anyway), they even pulled out all the cords from my tv and took them... they even took my tv remote...

they didn't take my tv/monitor, or my other monitor, they didn't take my computer or laptop, my swords are still there, and so are my dvds

oh and they didn't take my ps2 remote

i no longer have my final fantasy games (quite pissed off because those are important) i don't think i have god of war 2 special edition too...

i don't mind so much that the consoles were taken because they can be replaced easily, but the games........... not happy... esp since they weren't platinum....

they took my laptop bag and sports bag (dumped everything else out)

but... i AM happy that that's ALL they took.....

i want an alarm system that seals the room and releases sleep gas...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 21-04-2009 , 10:14 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Chirone, it sucks that there are bastards out there who'll do such a thing as that.
I hope they burn in hell, or at least get run over on their way to their next evil deed and die a slow painful death. People like that make me wish things I'm not too happy wishing...
I hope you manage to get some of what you have lost back in time. As you said, at least they didn't take everything, and I'm even more glad nobody got hurt.

# 3 21-04-2009 , 10:52 PM
EduSciVis-er
user added image Yikes man, really sorry to hear it. At least they didn't take the computer... and they are just things after all... but that's still no fun. Hope it gets recovered.

# 4 22-04-2009 , 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Thats is messed up, this probably won't make you feel better but it could've been worse. That's the kinda stuff that just disgusts me, people want sh*t, yet they sit on their asses, watching to see who has what so that they can come and take it.

Chirone, break ins are not random, they were watching your house and taking note of your schedules. I've had this happen to me, one morning, I was in and decided to sleep late, someone was knocking at the front door, I took a peep, it wasn't anyone I recognized so I said screw that and went to use the bathroom, while in the bathroom I heard a rustling noise, as I came back down the hallway, I saw a strange face poking around the corner, I just yelled WTF and for some reason I wasn't scared I was just pissed the hell off, as I just bought new shit for my studio and these bastards wanted to rob me? Hell naw, so I charged at that dude (which in retrospect wasn't the smartest thing to do but I wasn't thinking, he was alone because he was their "scout") He threw himself back through the window and they sped away. Given another minute or so, more of them would've been inside the house, and I could've gotten hurt, raped maybe even killed. At the time there was a rash of that happening and some people did get killed, right in their homes, so please please count yourself lucky, your dad is ok. That is the world we live in, and this whole world economy going to crap thing isn't helping either.

/hug
You can buy that stuff back I'm sure (doesn't stop this from sucking though)

- Genny
# 5 22-04-2009 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber
thanks guys user added image

Dango, if i found those meat sacks i don't know what i'd do... maybe shatter their hands... torture is worse than death i think...

stwert, it's good that they didn't take my computers but i can't help but think they might come back for them

gect, thanks the hugs help, i do count myself lucky, i kinda don't know what to feel either... sad, angry, not sure...
you were lucky you slept in at that time and they never got to you or your stuff... that would really suck if you just vanished for good
i can't help but think that i was being watched and targeted, other than the tv remote they seemed to know what they wanted...

i want a house where rooms will lock down and fill up with sleeping gas, only that room will be gassed up and no one will die, leaving the criminal open for hand crushing

for an alarm system some of my friends were talking about an AI alarm that would speak to the thief, saying things like
"Wow you took forever to get in, my grandma can get in faster than that"

"what are you doing, needlenogen, the jewelery is the other way"

"what the hell are you taking that for? are you ****ed in the head? that's not going to sell"

"You're not very good at this are you? how long have you been doing it for?"

and all sorts of abusive stuff so they will break down and cry or think that someone actually is watching them

yeah... that'd be awesome

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 6 22-04-2009 , 05:15 AM
Subscriber
Hey Chirone,

It would be nice to have an AI security system. Sounds like a bit more fanciful version of what an associate of mine did for his house. He managed to hook a webcam up to a motion detector and then wrote a program for his computer that would take pictures every 15 seconds or so once it was tripped. It would then send them to his e-mail. While this didn't prevent the next theft (he had been broken into once before) he did have nice low res pictures of the guy's face and general appearance for the police when he came back for round two. His setup was cheap (motion detector and webcam) but I never saw the program he wrote. Knowing him, a rather gifted Electrical Engineering/Computer Science dual major I'm sure it was very streamlined. If you're a lot more programming savvy than me (read: I haven't touched it in years and am regulated to the 'look at the funny programmy wordy thingies category') you might be able to come up with something similar if not better.

It's good to hear that no one was hurt. And I hope that you're luckier than I was and you get all your stuff back.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 7 22-04-2009 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
one of my friends who's apartment got broken into only stole stuff from his room, the others were fine, and they also had xbox 360 and laptops
the cops caught the f****r who admitted to 20 other thefts, but he sold all the stuff and had no money so he couldn't pay compensation

the law here favours criminals more than victims, it's a well known fact

you get prosecuted if a criminal gets hurt while robbing your house... how lame is that???

anyway, i should at some point look into doing what your friend did. i'll stick posters up saying that i'm watching them too. although i wonder if i'd get prosecuted for that. something along the lines of filming without consent...

i still like my sleep gas idea... surely a non-leathal and non-injury-inflicting defence wouldn't get me prosecuted... but you never know...

# 8 22-04-2009 , 08:41 AM
Man, that must suck, I am sorry to hear it. I am glad that no one (the thieves excepted of course) was hurt, robberies can get pretty dangerous.

Did the police come over? Dust for prints, etc.? Not that they do much, but when they are caught, the more evidence against them the better.

Chirone > "i still like my sleep gas idea... surely a non-leathal and non-injury-inflicting defence wouldn't get me prosecuted... but you never know..."

Surely the thieves are gonna sue you because your sleep-inducing gas gave them prison-related nightmares... you know, the "dropped soap in the prison shower, will bend over..." user added image

This AI security system gives me an idea! Has anyone heard of ALICE? She is a bot that has fooled nearly everyone that has chatted to her. The source code is open source, I believe. Now, with something that reads text, such as FUSE (also open source, I tinkered with it so my computer reads RSS feeds) you can get a computer to read what ALICE outputs. To respond to the computer, speech to text software might work, though the accuracy sucks...

My ramblings aside, imagine the thieves breaking into the room, going for the consoles, only to hear "I can't let you take those consoles..." The thieves stop, turn around and see a glowing red camera lenses... airlock opens... OK, no airlock, but they do get to say "cheese" while their photo is taken.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 9 22-04-2009 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
I feel your pain man. I got hit back in Oct where he only took my XBOX 360 and some of the games (he was and had the time to be picky).

Bloody strange as my ps2, ps3, 3 laptops, digital camera, over 3000 dvd`s 100 bluerays, £1000 watch, 50` flatscreen sony tv and digital camera were all out in front of him with 2 more PC up stairs. So what goes though there minds is a mystery to me.

I got the consoles back but not the games - and to be fair until I got another copy of Gears of war 1+2 I did not touch the thing. It really is the games you miss more than the consoles themselves. The good news about the final fantasys is that they are easy to find on ebay and stuff - bad news is they not cheap EVER.

Good luck to you man in getting the stuff back, and very grateful no one was hurt

# 10 22-04-2009 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber
the architect, you're such a crack up! XD
if i had the choice i'd have someone break their fingers... or shatter their feet to an unrecoverable state so then they can't walk or steal
of course, that could easily turn against me if they ever went all bionic on me.......

yeah, the police came and dusted for prints, but not in my room... just in the area they smashed the window to get in... bloody noob policemen....

oh yeah, there was also a box of matches around, no finger prints on those... it makes me think they want to burn the house down too..... in my dream world they would set themselves on fire by mistake

but as i said before, if the theives did get hurt then they are allowed to prosecute us (it's soooo bull)

tweety, when i come visit the UK can i stay with you? XD

i'll never understand what goes through people's minds...
one time my sister's car got broken into and all they took was the air freshner, the map, and the lollies... oh and the most important thing... the tripod.. mother was not happy about the tripod... the cash was left there..
we figure they were lost, hungry, and smelt

i miss those games already... i was part way through all of them too... i miss my FF PSP...
and... i wonder what was on my camera other than pictures of my desk and a few items.. oh and the random hedghog i found outside my house...

my friend says that people don't steal pink stuff... there were these electricians where people kept stealing their cables, so they bought pink ones and they never got stolen...
pink is the new grey for me i guess user added image

# 11 22-04-2009 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber
well they do sell pink psp`s

# 12 22-04-2009 , 08:31 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
To Bad man, i would think it was someone close to you how else would they know what you have?
I am glad i live in Holland, it's defintely not perfect, but at least we don't have much burglary in private homes around here.

And chirone, in Holland the criminals sometimes seem to have more rights than the victims aswell

What about insurance?

# 13 22-04-2009 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
maybe...
it might have been someone who was watching me, and saw me bring in a ps3, came in and saw all the other things

we have insurance.. so i guess we'll have to see what they say now....

# 14 02-05-2009 , 12:50 AM
Yeah, that sucks, sorry to hear that. What would you have done if you were there? Thats what I'd think about.. Me pummeling them for their idiocracy and being a pain in the rear for the rest of society.

Let's just say if I was at some sort of advantage (only 1 of em, unarmed) and I caught em in the act... There would be few unbroken bones user added image

But yeah, good luck getting the stuff back.

# 15 02-05-2009 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
the dream situation is that if i was there then i'd get all MGS snake on them and shoot them with tranquilizers without them knowing

the other dream situation is as soon as they cross the gate to get to where they broke in they would be teleported (or just turned to dust) to some human research lab all the way in some foreign country and scare the crap out of them

although if i was there i'd be in my room and so i'd have access to all the weapons i have.... yeah, they won't like it much... being kids i wouldn't expect them to be armed with projectiles...

i honestly doubt the police will catch them and i'll get anything back, they didn't leave finger prints it seems...