Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-10-2006 , 04:50 AM

Game meshes

Hello everyone =)

I'm brand new to Maya. I tried a few other modelling programs but I prefer Maya over all the others. I'm working on a computer game, and want to use Maya to make the scenes and models.

I'm having a problem, however. Everything renders fine within Maya but then I export to .OBJ + .MTL file combination and load+render in my game and some strange things happen. The polygons aren't drawn in the correct order. See example: https://www.cybensoft.com/tower.jpg

Now my first thought was that it must be my code rendering incorrectly. However, this problem -only- occurs when using Maya to create the meshes.

And since I'm a noob to 3d modelling in general, especially Maya, I thought maybe there's some step I'm completely unaware of. So far, I've been creating polygon primitives, bending them to my will (:p), creating materials with textures and applying, and finally making sure the normals are pointing the right way.

Any ideas at all as to what I could be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

# 2 03-10-2006 , 06:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
do your textures have any alpha? It might be interpretting the alpha wrong

# 3 03-10-2006 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
Have you checked that you r normals are all facing the correct way?

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.