Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 05-01-2007 , 09:50 PM
YES it works fine without the textures....

Example of sizes....one is 450 x 711 pixels..... another is 3045 x 1080...

Is this too big?

About what size should they be?

# 17 05-01-2007 , 10:03 PM
I TRIED SMALLER TEXTURES AND IT WORKED! THANK YOU! user added image

silly me.

But the quality of the texture is bad. Im not very good with photoshop....how do you decrease the size of a large high res photo without any loss of quality???

# 18 05-01-2007 , 10:17 PM
Acid44
i havent been in photoshop for a while but i think you go to

image> image size> and then put in the size you want and it'll keep the quality

maybe im wrong but thats my vague memory user added image

# 19 05-01-2007 , 10:18 PM
you would think its that simple...! But no....Ive tried over and over again....still poor resolution.......hmmmm....help!

# 20 05-01-2007 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
Allo,
You should try turning the texture display resolution down. It is in the preferences options window. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 and it works perfectly fine.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 21 05-01-2007 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber
Poor resolution or poor quality or both?

If it's resolution, well unfortunately, that's probably just the way it is.

If it's quality that's the issue, just ensure you're using a format that employs lossless compression. Jpgs would probably be worse than useless if the quality was not set up high.

I personally have something of a penchant for TGAs, though I guess TIFFs would be cool too.

But as far as texture resolution goes, have a look around at Gnomon Workshops. Alex Alvarez has written a great little article on how to determine the appropriate texture resolution for a model. This allows you to get the best out of your machine in terms of actuall viewable quality and speed. (there's no point using a texture with 5 million pixels if the model is never going to take up more than 1 million pixels in the final render etc.)

# 22 06-01-2007 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
i`m so glad i could help

we resantly worked with a pro lighter who had worked on all sorts of movies (a vs p, charily and choc factory) and when he came in he told us

1) never have textures over 2048 x 2048 if you can help it.

2) never use jpgs - always tiffs or targ.

3) Never use layied textures from photoshop (saves loads of memory without them) always use flat textures but keep a pdf verson for backup if u need to edit them.

4) if using tifs save without the alpha same resion as the layers.

these little things not only help maya display but also render times in mental ray.

there is also an opton in maya prefs under display for max texture rez. deflaut set to 2048 you might get lucky and be able to do something with that