Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-09-2008 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber

How to duplicate rigged model?

Hello folks!

Well, one question. I have human model, and i have hand as separate model. So i'm rigging and binding one this hand, and now i was wondering, how could i just somehow dupicate this hand model and just rescaled in in x-axis, for the other side of the body? The problem would be to duplicate the way that it would duplicate mesh, bones, weight maps, influence objects and such? Is this even possible? Or do i reallly have to remake all of that on second hand from scratch?

tnx!

# 2 17-09-2008 , 03:47 AM
You can mirror joints no probs and skin weights.

What I do is create your model completly then add the spine, one arm and one leg, dont have them joined to together at this point, name all hte joints, then mirror the arms and the legs over (using mirror joints on the skeleton menu (I think) replacing in the name left for right or right with left depending on what you've called it. Parent the arms and the legs to the respective joints in the heirarchy, then paint weithts on one side ofthe body and mirror them over.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 17-09-2008 , 05:55 AM
Subscriber
tnx man!

Well, sorry for a bit confusing explanation. what i have here, is, that i won't be animation whole body, just hands, which will stay as separate models. so it would be the best if i could simply duplicate model of hand with all the bones and stuff, since it will stay as separate model and not as part of the body.

# 4 17-09-2008 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
if I understand correctly you do exactly what was explained.
Rig the first hand, paint the weights. Duplicate the hand to the other side, use the skeleton menu to mirror the bones over, and the mirror the weights.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 17-09-2008 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
Ok tnx a lot guys!