Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-10-2002 , 06:47 PM

Maya Fluids?

I need to stop going on to other forums that arent strong with Maya and just stay here!!!I need to know if anybody has done or seen a tutorial for Maya fluids yet. I have the books that came with Maya and there very nice they explain what the buttons are, but I am clueless about the scientifics of fluid displacement!! Any Ideas??

# 2 22-10-2002 , 04:15 AM
Do you mean, adding a displacement shader/map to the fluid shader?

I just looked at the docs for any reference to that, and found nothing.
Thanks for bringing that up, because I wanted to do something like that.

However, if you just want to do an effect similar to something rising out of the water, or fluids going around an obstacle, there are tuts in the docs for that.

In that case, also remember:

The fluid container is the basis for any dynamic or non-dynamic fluid effect. (Open water effects do not require containers. For details, see Creating Ocean Effects in the Docs..)

A fluid container is a rectangular 2D or 3D boundary that defines the space in which the fluid exists. Fluid cannot exist outside a container.

When you first create a fluid container, it's empty. To make a fluid effect you add contents to the container and then modify the look and behavior of the fluid by modifying the container attributes.

Also, if you are just doing a still shot, you can convert a fluid to a polygonal mesh, which you can then treat like any other polygon object that can be displaceduser added image

Hope this helped a littleuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 22-10-2002 , 04:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
wish I had 4.5 user added image

# 4 22-10-2002 , 07:39 PM
Thanks ragecgi , Something like that is what Im talking about. I read the doc's that come with Maya but there a little too "tech", I needed someone to spell it out for me on my level. I am also looking for someone that has made something with it. A couple of months ago everyone was screaming about Dynamic Fluids, now that it's out no one is saying a word about them.

# 5 23-10-2002 , 12:19 AM
I think no one is saying anything right now, because they are busy experimenting with themuser added image

Give it time, the tuts are on the way I'm sure of ituser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 18-11-2002 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
i would like to find out some about the fluids, but there is tons of stuff to learn before that. user added image

# 7 19-11-2002 , 05:13 AM
hehe...

I knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com