Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 05-07-2004 , 10:50 AM
Very nice! Did you render the motion blur or do it in post?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 32 05-07-2004 , 10:53 AM
Thanks! It's standard renderd 2D motionblur in Maya!

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 33 05-07-2004 , 12:23 PM
the scene is cool, the ocean repeating is obvious but also easy to fix.

All i would mention is that as the plane pulls up it seems to lack weight right at the end. I dont know if a spitfire would be able to pull such an extreme vertical pull up...

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 34 05-07-2004 , 12:59 PM
Alan: Thanx! When you mention it...it is a pretty hard climb...haven't reflected over that before!

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 35 05-07-2004 , 03:49 PM

# 36 06-07-2004 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber
O.K. Sir Avalon here are my coments... not that I am a Spitfire nut but if you wanna get it right then you need to fix a few things!

1. What version of Spitfire are you modeling? If it is a Mk1 (since it is attacking He-111s in the movie then I assume it is Battle of Britain era) then you have the wrong exhaust - a Mk1 had the three exhaust manifold like the Hurricane. Also if it is Battle of Britain the aramament is all wrong. A Mk 1 would have eight Browning machine guns - NO CANNON - that didn't happen until the Mk V came along.

2. Has the image below been distorted in Motion blur if not then you need to streatch the fuselage and move that aerail forward to just behind the cockpit. You will also need to bubble the front of cockpit. At the moment it is completely FLAT!

3. As for the animation well... I don't think there is any plane in the world that can dive like that and pull up as fast into a vertical climb. The G force wiould be horrific and a plane like the Spitfire would just fall apart... Make him come down at a shallower angle and climb smoother it will look a lot more convincing.

There, I hope that didn't hurt user added image Apart from that it's looking good except for the repeating sea pattern but you knew that anyway...

Attached Thumbnails

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 37 06-07-2004 , 04:33 PM
Yeah... it does look kind of like the hurricane... in some respects.
Gazza: you seem to know a lot! Did you study planes or something?
Sir Av: Dude.. wicked animation.. i love the way the camera moves, as someone said before... and the motion blur is AWESOME, i really really really would love to see a longer animation like the plane coming back around for another attack or something like that... that would be so awesome...
-ThaGuvNa

# 38 06-07-2004 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
In fact this Spitfire looks more like a Mig-3... Sorry if I am going on I must be a aviation nut after all user added image

Attached Images

Gazzamataz
# 39 07-07-2004 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
totally agree on all of gazz's comments and I also think the wings aren't quite the right shape

# 40 07-07-2004 , 01:46 PM
gazzamataz: That was some really good feedback!! Thanks! I'll keep this in mind and make the changes I can without redoing everything from scratch... I guess I should have posted this WIP long before I had done any renders at all! Please keep it up!

When was the Mk.V built anyway??
Cheers!
/Chris

# 41 07-07-2004 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

When was the Mk.V built anyway??

Entered service in 1941 - it was a favourite mark of many!

If you want to know a little more about Spitfires look here:

The Spitfire Society

I look forward to your remodelinguser added image

Gazzamataz
# 42 07-07-2004 , 05:08 PM
the second preview is also nice...
the 2 windlines at the sides of the plane are really good!
makes the whole scene more realistic.