Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-08-2002 , 12:39 PM
Supreme Being

poly basics..

since there's a nurbs basic it's only fair to have a poly one too.. :p
ask away.. NOW!! lol :p

# 2 08-09-2002 , 11:26 PM

Yea, here goes one

When deleting edges, is there a difference between using the delete key on my keyboard and using Edit Polygons > Delete Edge?

# 3 09-09-2002 , 12:19 AM
The Maya Mountain
I believe it's the same thing, but if there is any difference, than the menu command would leave a history item in the channel box, allowing you to bring the edge back later on if you wished.

# 4 10-09-2002 , 07:44 PM

Lights for modeling

I'd like to be able to create a lighting setup more suited to modeling with the ability for these lights to move with my perspective camera. Basically, I need some better shading going on rather than the look of a light right next to the camera which seems to be the default.

I've had no problem setting up some simple effective lighting, highlighting and dragging that history from the script editor to my shelf (instant lighting setup). However, the moment I rotate in my perspective view of course my lighting changes.

How do I connect or parent my created lights to the persp cam, the way the default lights are?

Also, does anyone have any good lighting/texture setups for modeling?

# 5 01-10-2002 , 08:27 PM
Hi, first time poster here user added image

I have a question and a request for you. As a bit of background, im new to Maya, never used a modeling package before, worked through the Maya 4 Fundamentals book and seem to be getting on OK with basic poly and nurbs modeling. I have modeled a few concept drawings through to completion (except textures).

OK first the question, I made a poly wooden circular platform:

user added image

Now, to get that basic shape (a cylinder'ish shape with a hole in it) I had to make a bunch of divisions on the caps of a poly cylinder, then delete the un-needed faces, then loft all the edges from one of the holes to the other, to seal it all up again. Pretty long winded. Is there a way to use one primative or even mesh as a type of cookie cutter to hollow out another mesh? I have used game editor tools before and have been able to intersect/de-intersect one brush with another.

The request is for a really good set of tutorials covering all aspects of texturing and all the different ways of doing it. Im still struggling after working through the UV stuff in the manuals and tutorials that I can find on the web.

Many thanks in advance.
Matt.

# 6 01-10-2002 , 08:41 PM
As for the cutting take a look at the menu commands under Polygon -> Booleans -> xxxxx

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 01-10-2002 , 09:00 PM
Polygons>bolean>difference user added image you da man user added image thanks bud

# 8 04-10-2002 , 09:24 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I believe it's the same thing, but if there is any difference, than the menu command would leave a history item in the channel box, allowing you to bring the edge back later on if you wished.

I think the real difference lies in the fact that the Delete Edge tool also removes the vertices of the edge involved. (something I reckon doesn´t happen everytime you actually hit the Delete key)

Don´t take it for granted though ..