View Poll Results: Currently working in the industry, Looking for work in the industry, Or Just a hobby
Currently working in the cg industry 4 22.22%
Looking for work in the cg industry 4 22.22%
Only does cg as a hobby 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-01-2009 , 11:13 AM

Working, Looking for work, Or just a hobby

Hi Guys,
I'm just curious to find out. I myself have recently graduated from a digital animation program, and currently looking for work. How many of the regular members in the forum are either currently working in the industry, trying to get a job in the industry, or only does cg as a hobby? If you are working, just wondering where?

Last edited by mmmm_soup; 23-01-2009 at 11:16 AM.
# 2 23-01-2009 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber

Re: Working, Looking for work, Or just a hobby

Originally posted by mmmm_soup
Hi Guys,
I'm just curious to find out. I myself have recently graduated from a digital animation program, and currently looking for work. How many of the regular members in the forum are either currently working in the industry, trying to get a job in the industry, or only does cg as a hobby? If you are working, just wondering where?

i'm currently looking for work in the cg industry, graduated from university just over a year ago,

since then i've done a couple internships at some animation studios, done some game testing for a computer games company,
did some volunteer work for an American based games company,

but yet still have not found a job,user added image

for 09 i'm going to be doing another internship at another animation studio,

i've got a good feeling about 09 i think it's my year, so maybe all the hard work and dedication will pay off,

here my showreel

https://vimeo.com/2878496?pg=transco...amp;sec=2878496

my advise to you is to do the same find as many cg related companies as posible and just call up asking to do some volunteer work,

that way you can say that you do have relevant experience,

Last edited by jali; 23-01-2009 at 12:05 PM.
# 3 23-01-2009 , 01:38 PM
Subscriber
At the moment I am using Maya in the hobby capacity only. Holding down a full time job otherwise. Hoping that the skills I learn will lead onto other things in the future and may feed in to my current career in Medicine in the form of medical illustration, teaching aids and so on. Only time will tell, other things keep getting in the way!

Good luck with whichever route you choose

No job - plenty of time for Maya
# 4 23-01-2009 , 07:47 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Jali

Although you're work looks great, you could dress it up a little show some texturemaps, polycounts, animate a little show a breakdown of a certain shot just spice it up, maybe even use a lens flare (joke)

# 5 23-01-2009 , 08:44 PM
I do cg for hobby and was making steps to get into the industry...that is until AutoDesk told me I wasn't allowed to use my Maya software anymore user added image. I have the student version and according to the license agreement, I am not allowed to use it beyond 1 year of the purchase date.

So, i'm not doing any 3d right now until I can find a way to buy the regular version of Maya. Yes, life can really suck at times, but I can think of alot worse things in life than this. So it was fun while it lasted.

-Eric

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 24-01-2009 , 12:43 AM
Hey Jali,
I never really thought of the internship and volunteer work. That's a great way to gain some experience. Good call. Thanks for the tip.

# 7 24-01-2009 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
picked just a hobby since I don't complete projects, I'm not looking for work, and I don't have the knowledge to do this as a job. If I could though I'd do it for a living. Sounds much easier to achieve than it actually is though.

# 8 24-01-2009 , 01:23 AM
The Nurb Herd
I just started work as a runner in a post house. Its cool, lots of crap jobs but i get to have a peak at what everyone is doing. Having a look at smoke and flame is pretty cool.

mastone - do you know what kind of work Sinot Design Associates do? and are you working in the Netherlands?

# 9 24-01-2009 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mastone
Hi Jali

Although you're work looks great, you could dress it up a little show some texturemaps, polycounts, animate a little show a breakdown of a certain shot just spice it up, maybe even use a lens flare (joke)

i'll take that into consideration for next years showreel

# 10 24-01-2009 , 07:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Perfecto
I do cg for hobby and was making steps to get into the industry...that is until AutoDesk told me I wasn't allowed to use my Maya software anymore user added image. I have the student version and according to the license agreement, I am not allowed to use it beyond 1 year of the purchase date.

So, i'm not doing any 3d right now until I can find a way to buy the regular version of Maya. Yes, life can really suck at times, but I can think of alot worse things in life than this. So it was fun while it lasted.

-Eric

screw autodesk:headbang: ,

i say use your version of maya anyway, you bought it ligit so how the hell can they tell you what you can and cant do,

carry on down the road of 3d, i remember watching your war bot tut, excellent tut by the way, it'll be a shame to see someone with that kind of talent just give up,

Last edited by jali; 24-01-2009 at 01:03 PM.
# 11 24-01-2009 , 03:43 PM
@ perfecto;
I commend your attitude towards using legal software, not many hobbyists take it that serious, and if you don't want to do it illegally just contact your reseller and ask again for a 14 month license or maybe even a permanent one and if your really into it buy the student superpack(maya/motionbuilder/combustion).

@hammer.Horror;
" Having a look at smoke and flame is pretty cool"
-We have one of each at work aswell, i've fiddled with it a couple of times.
If you really want to be a Flame artist ask your boss if you can learn on it in your own time shows commitment and you learn the same time.
" do you know what kind of work Sinot Design Associates do? "
- I've googled it and now i know user added image, but if you really want to see some cool stuff the dutch make have a look at this;
- https://www.theambassadors.nl/
- https://www.guerrilla-games.com/
- https://www.condor-post.com/
- https://www.lukkien.com/
- https://www.streamline-studios.com/

just to name a few, if you compare it to the big markets like America and Brittain, we are doing pretty well i guess user added image
And yes i work in the Netherlands for a company that supplies hard and software to VFX companies like i've mentioned above i work at technical soft and hardware support where i can use a wide range of software to train myself;
Maya,Max,XSI,ZBrush,Mudbox, Fusion, Adobe CS4,Avid, Toxic combustion, Flame smoke etc.
So it's like a little kid in a candyshop

user added image

# 12 24-01-2009 , 03:48 PM
If some of you are unemployed and don't mind the weed and the hookers i believe some of the companies i have mentioned are looking for 3d artists just a thought

# 13 24-01-2009 , 07:56 PM
Jali,
Thanks a whole heap m8! I'm not giving up though, i just need to find a way to buy the comerical version of the software. I don't want to spend any money on another student license only to have the 1 year limitation. So right now, it's just a money issue. If I had the commerical liscense, there's no doubt in my mind that I could make decent money with my current abilities/talent.

And yeah, I prefer to stay legal, otherwise my concious would eat a whole through me and stress me out to no end. user added image

I still read eveyone's posts though (well, maybe not all, but lots of them). 3D is in my blood and there's no way I could give it up. I'm addicted!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 14 24-01-2009 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
perfecto if you're still able to use the student version why not use that just to practice around on, I mean obviously you can't make a profit with it that way but you can still keep using it and not lose your skills, I miss seeing your recent works though.

# 15 25-01-2009 , 04:06 AM
Rhetoric Camel well, i'd like to, but according to the license aggreement I'm not allowed to use it at all now because it's been more than 1 year. It really sux. I've had several conversations with autodesk but to no end.

I even asked them to make a deal with them allowing me to use it to make the money to pay them for regular version but they won't.

If I could use it, I could make the money for the regular unlimited version in about 3 months (2 small jobs each month).

Exceed Expectations!