Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-03-2003 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber

tutorial videos

I could not find an answer on the following:
the tutorials videos are in a *.wmv format. is the media player for Mac Users also? is there no quick time (standard) format available?
tHX for u're support
Axel

# 2 02-03-2003 , 04:57 AM

# 3 02-03-2003 , 10:17 AM
Unfortunately, most of the WMV movies here on SM don't work very well with a Mac, even with Windows Media Player for OSX. You usually get video but no audio. Until the guys making the vids decide to use some other audio codec, we Mac users out of luck. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 02-03-2003 , 10:49 AM
SM Tea Boy
It was my understanding that everything worked on a Mac apart form a few of the very first free tutorials we did?

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 02-03-2003 , 11:57 AM
Kevin
no same here as well dave! we have even done test vids for mac users who said that they work.

granted the first ones may have trouble but dont the latest ones that mike has done work?

# 6 02-03-2003 , 01:21 PM
Yes i downloaded all the free videos and iam using XP and some of them had no pic but sound so its not just with mac.
I dont know if you already new that.
Sorry if you did.

Cheers

# 7 02-03-2003 , 05:06 PM
Kevin
download the latest software for you pc Lucas. They work fine on pcs (with the most recent codecs)

# 8 02-03-2003 , 05:38 PM
I am forced to use osx at work, and they work just fine there.
So, not sure if it may be a codec issue?

Unless I've misunderstood Kevin, I've been encoding my movies with Divx.
There is a VERY recent update to the Divx codec for mac osx and pc, as explained here:

"DivX video is available for Mac OS (versions 8.6 and higher) in the form of a QuickTime™ codec. The software bundle includes the codec and a "DivX Validator" application that fixes DivX AVI files so they can be played back properly in the QuickTime architecture. Once the codec is installed, you can use the QuickTime Player application to playback DivX video files. This alpha release is a decoder-only release; an encoder is planned for a future release. DivX Pro is not currently available for Mac OS."

You can get the most updated mac version here:
https://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

Not sure if this will help...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 9 02-03-2003 , 05:47 PM
Kevin
yep but as mike cant use the divx codec he has to use the wmv user added image

# 10 02-03-2003 , 08:22 PM
I really should double-check if I have the latest codecs on my Mac. Will check when I have more free time... :p

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 11 02-03-2003 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
The recent wmv files will not work with the latest Mac OSX windows player, however they do work ok with the old 'classic' windows player v7. The avi's work ok with the divX plugin in Quicktime. Hope this helps.

# 12 03-03-2003 , 04:47 AM
Subscriber

media player

I am not sure if i understood what problems you are refering to. just to make sure that you know what kind of troubles i have i include a jpeg which shows the statistics (first 3 min.) of the tutorial video (extrude) from Kevin. I do receive all sound but frames from the video are skipped. I do understand that there are several problems with the media player on the mac (guess why?)... maybe this is a stupid question but why not not offer the videos as a quick time movie?
THX all for your thoughts and assistance
Axel

# 13 03-03-2003 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber

media player

by the way: the media player on my SGI O2 is also unable to read the .wmv format...

# 14 03-03-2003 , 09:17 AM
Kevin, might want to look into using xvid for encoding. Quality is better than DivX 5+ and i'm pretty sure it's free to use.

::edit:: although i'm not sure about it's availability on other OS's

Last edited by schmick; 03-03-2003 at 02:09 PM.
# 15 03-03-2003 , 09:47 AM
Kevin
moving to tech forum