Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-12-2008 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber

computer issue

Alright I'm not having the computer issue but my girlfriend is and I figured I'd come here and ask if anyone has any ideas

Computer:
HP Pavilion n6224a

the other night she turned off her computer and went to bed, woke up the next day to turn on her computer and nothing happened. Fans were running, hard drive works, but nothing shows up on the monitor. With my own testing the monitor and the hard drive are fine. But when we start the computer nothing loads, no bios no nothing. Is this a motherboard issue (I'm hoping its not)? We're not getting the hp symbol, no blue screen just black.

Any ideas and help would be great, thanks.

# 2 12-12-2008 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
I had this happen to me three times - twice it was ok the other cost me £1200.

The first was my power cable to the cpu had come lose - the second was my memory was not in currectly after updating my hard drive.

The third killer one was that my bios chip had gone and need a complete new set up. The whole computer was powering up but all I sgot was 2 beeps and nothing else but blank monitor.

I hope its not that.

Strip the computer and put it back together making sure everything is plugged in correctly just to be sure.

Other idea is - is it your graphic card ??

# 3 12-12-2008 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the help I was thinking the bios also and was hoping its not that. I'd say it was the graphics card but wouldn't you end up hearing windows starting up with the speakers connected?

The monitor stays in standby mode once turned on, we left the computer on for 30 minutes never heard windows load through the speakers and nothing ever happened on the screen.

I have a hard time believing it could be a chip loose in there only because now that it's stopped working this is the first time someone has opened it up and it's not like it was jarred or kicked around or anything.

edit: one more question, her computer was password protected which seems to make it impossible to get into her documents and settings or onto her desktop when I connect her hard drive to my computer using an external case. Is there anyway to get around this so we can atleast open up that stuff onto my computer?

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 12-12-2008 at 05:50 PM.
# 4 12-12-2008 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
as far as I know there is a way of getting access to those files but I have no idea how to - its something to do with permissions but I have no idea how. This happened to me when I lived with a wizz kid but alas he`s back in the usa now ad don`t know how he did it

# 5 12-12-2008 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
alright well thanks for the help I appreciate it

anyone have any ideas about any of these things don't hesitate to post 'em.

# 6 13-12-2008 , 04:22 AM
Can you elaborate on the password protection? Is it just a boot password or is the hard drive encrypted with something else and gets decrypted only when the computer boots?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 7 16-12-2008 , 05:08 PM

I'd say it was the graphics card but wouldn't you end up hearing windows starting up with the speakers connected?

Unless she had the computer muted when she last successfully shut it down, perhaps.

Good luck getting it fixed if it's fixable!

# 8 16-12-2008 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
thanks for all the help we've come to a firm conclusion it's the motherboard. Christmas is around the corner and she is now getting a new computer so as long as we don't destroy the hdd everything should be good. thanks again for the help and ideas