Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-10-2003 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for all your help & advice. I have a laptop now :-O

I am running Maya on a brand new :-) Precision M60 laptop.
It flies like a Sukhoi-30 fighter. Fires like a M16 rifle.
Maya is behaving like a tame dog on this laptop. This laptop is the master. So much space on the screen it is AMAZING!!!!
I waited 1 year to save for this moment. I am going to enjoy it :-)
This laptop will tie me over for next 1.5 years and by then I would be much better in Maya and I will buy a dual 8 GHZ G9 or a dual 9 GHZ P9:-O

I LOVE MAYA!!!! This expenditure was a sign of my comittment towards Maya. Now no time will be wasted due to my daily3 hour train travel :-)))))

This site has given me lot of motivation. I know lot of people are leaving but I will stick around as long as this site stays up.

grrrr
# 2 23-10-2003 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
Wahoo! congrats on yer lappy!

# 3 23-10-2003 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
thanks man

grrrr
# 4 24-10-2003 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
I love mine, thats all I use. How much ram did you get? what vidrocard did it come with?

# 5 24-10-2003 , 03:53 AM
Subscriber
1GB RAM + nVidiaQuadroFX Go700 128MB graphics card

grrrr
# 6 24-10-2003 , 04:26 AM
Subscriber
whoah.

nice!

# 7 24-10-2003 , 05:52 AM
How is that M60 working? I know it's fast, but what about battery life and general noise? Does the cooling fan kick in very often and is it loud?

(I'm considering this one as my next laptop... user added image )

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 24-10-2003 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
Really I don't know what people complain and moan about. The battery life is descent. I have the normal battery and then there is a 2nd one that is shaped like the DVD ROM drive. It slots into the DVD rom modular bay. I can work continuously for 5-6 hours.
I only need it on battery for 3 hours when I travel.

Noise? What noise!!! The only time I notice noise (faint noise) is when I am in a silent room. Does not effect me in any way. I think people make to much of small things. In short there is no real world noise :-)

danny mark my words get it. I wish I had got it earlier instead of listening to some people who were saying negative things based on no 1st hand experience.
You will not regret.
Make sure of the following things-
This is what I did when I ordered I phoned a dell sales lady. Arranged to speak with here again after ordering the lappy via internet. Then gave her the choice to give me 1x512Mb RAM or uprade to DVD burner free. She gave me 1x512Mb free. Then I got another 512Mb from Crucial.com (spelling)
It's exactly same RAM as on my Dell. On there site you can choose the model of your PC and they automatically tell you which memory module is right for your machine.
Iy you are in states you can get more freebies from them. Ask for a bag....be shameless and ask for as much as you can :-)
The lady was going to upgrade my DVD-CDRW drive to DVD burner drive but her stupid boss refused :-O
I preffer an external DVD burner anyway to use with other machines (Notice-Sour grapes :-()

Get the 7200rpm HD that way you are on the same level as desktop machines with regards to HD speed.

Any more help just drop me a line.

grrrr