Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-01-2018 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber

Modeling and Opening An Envelope in Maya

I need help with this. I assumed it would be simple and if not, thought I would easily find a tutorial online. Neither. All that I found was someone's perfect execution of what I am trying to do (but in C4D).

Here's their demo

If anyone can lead me to a tutorial or offer advice on re-creating this, I'd appreciate it.

Lil
# 2 01-02-2018 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber
Hello Lilnyc,
I would model the top flap separately and use a bend deformer (Deform_Nonlinear_Bend) to deal with the curve - you would need a few subdivisions in the mesh to make it bend smoothly. To abimate the flap simply set the pivot to the base of the flap and key the movement.
Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 03-02-2018 , 06:36 AM

Just a little animation.

I don’t know how to do this in Maya, yet. (That’s why I’m here for) But I sure know how to do it in Blender.

Just a little animation.

Thanks for the idea :-)

# 4 10-03-2018 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber

Hello Lilnyc,
I would model the top flap separately and use a bend deformer (Deform_Nonlinear_Bend) to deal with the curve - you would need a few subdivisions in the mesh to make it bend smoothly. To abimate the flap simply set the pivot to the base of the flap and key the movement.
Hope this helps

Thanks, toddster,

I appreciate your response and demonstrations. People like you make these forums nice.

Unfortunately my issue was making an envelope that could hold paper. I ended up using a template. That project (that I bought) was completely made in After Effects using one texture layer that was made into multiple 3D layers.

Lil