Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 17-09-2004 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
I started of as being self taught and found it too fustrating in the end and knew I had to do something about it.

In that respect I am quite lucky that this industrie focuses more on the showreel than an actual qualifcation as such.

The studio even has it's own forum where they help past students and post information about jobs etc.

_LIVID

# 17 17-09-2004 , 03:53 PM
Those of you who did Masters at Bournemouth, I was just wondering what you did at undergraduate?

I go to bournemouth and do computer science BSc but I want to do animation as a masters.

# 18 17-09-2004 , 05:30 PM
i did computer science at brighton uni and then I did the masters at bournemouth.

You can say that the qualification doesnt matter but I know first hand that it does. I got hired based on my undergraduate degree in computer science as well as my masters. I'm not an animator anything relaly artistic which goes a way to explain it but even so degrees == good things to have user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 19 17-09-2004 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber
hi tim-,

good luck with the cse, what are the digs like down there and how much?

cheers dude.

MURPH
# 20 17-09-2004 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
Why do so many people seem to dislike/think degrees are useless??? Thats the impression I'm getting anyway, apologies for any offence.

I'm proud of my degree, and I worked hard for it and got a great job out of it at MPC. I got my job based just on the fact that I graduated from the NCCA - the standard of work from there is always so high, they know that the people they hire will produce good stuff.

Although, if the course at Escape Studios was cheap, everyone would be doing it! I'm sure its worth the money, I had a look at it out of interest and it seems pretty cool.

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 21 17-09-2004 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
Why do so many people seem to dislike/think degrees are useless??? Thats the impression I'm getting anyway, apologies for any offence.

I'm proud of my degree, and I worked hard for it and got a great job out of it at MPC. I got my job based just on the fact that I graduated from the NCCA - the standard of work from there is always so high, they know that the people they hire will produce good stuff.

Although, if the course at Escape Studios was cheap, everyone would be doing it! I'm sure its worth the money, I had a look at it out of interest and it seems pretty cool.

I mean no disrespect to those that have followed the tried and true path of higher education. I merely point out that those of us not so fortunate as to benefit from that education, should not be so easily dismissed as less worthy because we did not attend "uni".

I posses other than industry related degrees, and do not denigrate those who have chosen other paths to their respective goals.

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
i did computer science at brighton uni and then I did the masters at bournemouth.

You can say that the qualification doesnt matter but I know first hand that it does. I got hired based on my undergraduate degree in computer science as well as my masters. I'm not an animator anything relaly artistic which goes a way to explain it but even so degrees == good things to have user added image

Alan

I started in the industry prior to the advent of digital, 3d or flash or . . . and had not the benefit of scholastic courses. We learned by trial and error and pushing the envelope to create our vision. The computerization of the industry was a boon. Those of us with work experience prior to when most of you were born lack your degrees, but our talent and abilities persist. In my work experience I have had the misfortune to meet and work with a growing number of credentialed/educated team members who possed the degree, the knowledge to acquire that degree, and have absolutely no "work related" common sense. Fresh out of school, degrees in hand, full of vim and vigor, and not a clue.

All I am saying is - the knowledge/ability/training, however acquired is great. What the possessor of said training does with that training is proof of the pudding. And I may be way off here, but I believe that if I chose to return to the work environment tomorrow, I could easily compete and find a house willing to embrace me and my lack of university training, based solely on my portfolio, and work experience.

t3

# 22 18-09-2004 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber
This has turned into quite a groovy little debate!

Thats what makes this website so good, so many different people from all walks of life, but who love the industry...or just making cool stuff for the fun of it! Who cares where we all got our skills from, we are all skilled, and lets keep on using them as well as we have been!

user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 23 18-09-2004 , 02:54 PM
Subscriber
I agree, I have no dislike of degree's and think that University education is very sound and efficent.

I just feel that I don't have the time to commit 2-3 years of my life to a University course. I needed to be plunged into the deep end so to speak and have greatly improved in my first week because of being taught by industry professionals (my tutor at the moment has over 10 years experience).

Another plus of Escape Studios is that they rotate tutors, so we can have an expert at animation, an expert at NURBS modelling, an expert at texturing (which is what we have at the moment) and an expert at lighting and rendering ect. This ensures that we can benifit from their own strengths and get the best education possible. As far as I know this doesn't happen in a University.

_LIVID

# 24 18-09-2004 , 03:31 PM
Like Tim_LIVID I have recently started the Maya Comprehensive Course at Escape Studios (actually he sits next to me). Unlike Tim - who is a mere child at the age of 20 - I have a first class degree in environmental engineering and have worked as a design engineer for the last seven years on projects all over the world.

I feel I'm far too old and fuzzy to spend several years on an animation degree course during which most of my time would be spent sleeping, drinking, playing computer games and watching daytime TV whilst munching sugar-puff sandwiches and smoking funny cigarettes all day (well, that's what happened first time round anyway!).

To echo earlier voices, Escape Studios is an excellent alternative for those who want to focus their 3D skills in Maya quickly and without the pain of prolonged studenthood. It's not the right choice for everyone, but it does offer a first class education in exactly 'what-you-need-to-know' taught by world-class industry professionals. I'm blown away by how much our tutor (Michael Ingrassia - Director of Digital World FX & man behind the Shortfilmmakers Alliance ) has crammed into our heads in just a week. It's amazing to watch a master at work.

I'm just annoyed that Tim_LIVID's apple was so much better than mine. grrrrr

My thumbs have gone weird
# 25 18-09-2004 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber
If either of you could shove some of your work on disk or memorystick or something like that so you could take it home and post it here i'd appreicate it, as i'd like to see what your producing.

# 26 18-09-2004 , 07:11 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
This has turned into quite a groovy little debate!

Thats what makes this website so good, so many different people from all walks of life, but who love the industry...or just making cool stuff for the fun of it! Who cares where we all got our skills from, we are all skilled, and lets keep on using them as well as we have been!

user added image

I suspect we are all going to witness amazing creativity in this group.

t3

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.
# 27 18-09-2004 , 09:05 PM
What’s the likelihood of getting a job in the industry after only 10 weeks training? I’m not saying it impossible and I’m sure the education at Escape is excellent, but no matter how good the teaching is, going from beginner to production level artist in 10 weeks seems like a stretch. Some people spend ages job-hunting after training for 3 years on a degree.

I personally would rather go for a degree as a) 10 weeks seems like a rush to get ‘qualified’ - I would rather spend time learning a variety of subjects (CGI; modeling; animation; storyboarding; concept des; illustration; graphics etc) to know what I truly want to specialize in and b) I’m only 19 and don’t wanna join the ‘working world’ just yet. I’m happy being a student for a while.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 28 18-09-2004 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
No but it gives you a good headstart as that ten weeks is probably the same as doing 6 months self learning and that then gives to 2.5 years to improve your skills and find a job before the people at uni finish the course.

# 29 18-09-2004 , 09:53 PM
The Maya Mountain
You don't get a job on "qualifications." Qualifying gets you car insurance... not a graphics job. user added image Its all about the quality, if you ask me. The better you are, the better your chances at getting a job.

# 30 18-09-2004 , 10:07 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
You don't get a job on "qualifications."

I mean 'qualified' as in 'ability and skill' user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....