Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-01-2007 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber

ScrewDriver Tutorial

hey guys, well i was bored and decided to do the screw driver tutorial from highen3d which some of you may know...

i followed everything exactly yet i still reckon mine can do abit of improvement, tell me what needs to be done. c & c most welcome

thanks, cheers ... marlon

user added image
user added image

# 2 16-01-2007 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
soo bored i decided to muck around and do this lol. i should really get too sleep, got a haircut appointment in 5hours :p

marlon

i dont know why this render was soo dark from the other

user added image

# 3 16-01-2007 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
Cool pics Marlon, looks good.

Well would you believe this was actually the second tute I ever did that didn't come with Maya, the first was the tennisball by christerb.

I found that the kitchen probe hdr image was very bright in spots and has quite a yellow cast to it. My first approach was to just go outside and take a couple of photos. They were a bit of a non-event, so I photographed some chrome. Still no chop.

In the end, I just used the image of the iffizi gallery and found the tones to be much more to my liking. It's rather low in res, so not amazingly clear in the background but it does the job.

It's been a long while since I did this one Marlon, but from meory it was just a matter of playing with the render settings.

Can't rember them all at the moment, and it's now 5:30am, so I'm gone after I post this. I'll have a look at the settings in the morning for ya mate, that is if you want em.

Simon.

Attached Images
# 4 16-01-2007 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
I did that one recently. I followed the instructions exactly and it turned out fine for me. (https://zeroalarm.deviantart.com/). From looking at it, your light looks a little bit odd, as do reflections. Did you do everything the guy said with the ambient light, including turning the intensity right down?

Flep: That's really cool. What materials did you use for the pen?

# 5 16-01-2007 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
I think the pen came out really nice lol i was using one of those pens today haha. hmm i dont know the pen looks good but ur right, something does look a bit different with the color in the screwdriver but over the model is nice. prob recheck your render settings

# 6 16-01-2007 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanx Zero and Turbo.

The pen was just something nice and simple to get a feel for caustics and the rest of it. I'm sure I've still got the refraction index wrong for the plastic - I'm sure that's one of the things that make these pens stand apat from imitations, and that gives it the look that earned it the name Crystal..

The materials are all really simple.

The Ball is a phonge, the brass bit is too. The blue plastic that holds the nib assembly as well as the ink are both phongs. While the inktube and the case are a dialetric_material.

Not exactly photo quality, but I did manage to trick the only person I showed it to, when shown an a 40 inch tv screen. Ha ha. Really gotta spend more time on the dialetric material and the rendering settings though.

Here, I've included the whole scene file for the biro. .mb and .ma for anyone using a version under 7.0 - standard thing, just change the first couple of lines at the top of the file that mention Maya 7.0..

Simon.

Attached Files
File Type: zip bic biro.zip (40.1 KB, 188 views)
# 7 16-01-2007 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
Ooooo that looks cool could u by chance send me a link to that tut or a copy?
Thank You

Cannibalism is just a friendly form of population control.
# 8 16-01-2007 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
# 9 17-01-2007 , 07:14 AM
Subscriber
Wonderful thank you very much

Cannibalism is just a friendly form of population control.
# 10 17-01-2007 , 07:54 AM
Subscriber
@ simon - thanks simon, yeah that would be nice user added image also about your render, looks good. haha at the pen, looks exactly like the one on my table :p

@ ZeroAlarm - i did exactly everything what he did with no intensity for the ambient light etc, yeah the lighting it abit off. why is it ALWAYS ME which ends up with the crappy result! lol.

do any of you guys know what exactly is causing this ...

also a question from me, how do you get the plane/floor looking like that? why isnt mine like that, arrgh!

thanks for the comment guys, marlon

MODELED AND RENDERED BY BARTONIX
user added image

# 11 17-01-2007 , 07:56 AM
try upping the number of photons fir the FG, also try toning the HDR image down a tough using the Colour gain.

Incidentaly, the Kitchen HDR was what I used for my gibson Les Paul, toned right down and then added some lights to get the lighting that I was after, so the HDR was used to have some nice reflections in it not really as the light source.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 17-01-2007 , 08:15 AM
Subscriber
what the? now when i render the same scene which is the first render i did, this comes up now,

Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : mentalrayIbl2: light not found for light linking, ignored

# 13 17-01-2007 , 09:10 AM
Subscriber
also did you make sure your hdri is spehrical. I remember when i did that tutorial and my hrdi wasnt spehrical so the renders came out different. as soon as i changed it, it helped my render out alot

# 14 17-01-2007 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber

# 15 17-01-2007 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber
@Marlon - nah, it's not just you that gets the crappy renders, you're just too smart to kill hours trying to get it perfect. user added image
Advice is always quicker than nutting it out..

@Gster - thanks for that. I'd forgotten all about having to chuck in an extra light to get the shadow. As for the bit about dropping the colour gain, uh-ha! So, that's what that does..

@Turbo - Yet another good point, the type of mapping of the hdri makes quite a bit of difference. [sheepish]Had it set to angular myself[/sheepish]

@Marlon again, Just using the tips given above I've given it something like another 15 renders and tweaks. Still not as pleasing as the image you posted, but a lot more like it than what you're left with after following the tute step by step.
It's still a bit red I think - it's just the colour offset of the hdri file. I've just been playing around with the intensity of the point light, the color gain and offset of the hdri and the shadow radius of the light, to get a nice soft fuzzy shadow with pneubra effects. Oh yeah - this time I used the kitchen probe image again.

If you like this render, grab the scene from the next post. Open it up in Maya, start another copy of maya and load your file then just alt-tab backwars and forwards between the two to check all the settings. I'd write down all the important ones for you, but to be honest I don't remember all the things I changed from the time that I finished the tute as presented.

Simon.

Attached Images