Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 27-03-2011 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber
there will be a garden there. not sure how i'd do it though...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 47 28-03-2011 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber
flower! inspired by the garden i saw at Narita Japan a month and a few weeks ago

i got annoyed at the paint FX and ended up just stealing and tweaking the shaders it provided me

I went walk-abouts while i was waiting for my flight and stumbled upon Naritasan Shinshoji Temple and then spotted this awesome garden. Took a photo thinking i'd want it as a reference further down the track... and i guess i did need it after all! user added image

also, i dont know how to move anchors in a path that you draw by pen in photoshop... i can seem to add, remove, and change the tangent of points, but not move them

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 28-03-2011 at 10:24 AM.
# 48 28-03-2011 , 10:27 AM
Lifetime Member
wow nice garden dude!!! I think you hold CTRL down...will check

EDIT: yep CTRL mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 49 28-03-2011 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber
one experiment.
the scene is starting to lag with 374774 triangles, 1/3 of that not being the flowers user added image

at this point i question my desire to put in detail that will go unnoticed....

Attached Thumbnails

# 50 28-03-2011 , 11:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Whoa mate...thats a lot of geo....maybe the detail isnt the way to go?? depending on what you have to leave out...

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 51 28-03-2011 , 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Is the garden going to be very visible in the final shot?

- Genny
# 52 28-03-2011 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
im not entirely sure of what the final shot should be since not everything has been done... i get the idea i wont finish in time user added image
if the final shot is similar to the last picture posted then the garden will be in view.
if the final shot is similar to the one that bullet said is hard to see then it wont be so visible.
i'd be leaning towards the latter though...

also, lag isn't really an issue. it's not really all that bad, and i can always turn the flowers off because i put them on a display layer

Last edited by Chirone; 29-03-2011 at 12:45 AM.