Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-01-2003 , 03:53 AM

Lighting probs

Ok, i'm using GI Joe for lighting. I was just wondering why the corners and edges are brighter than the walls? I thought that they would be more shaded than the walls themselves?

user added image

# 2 22-01-2003 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
are there gaps between the walls?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 22-01-2003 , 06:46 PM
Hmmm... Hard to explane why, but this also occurs with MR And many other programs. Sometimes What I try to do to solve this, is to increase the thickness of the walls, it that is only a box, then try extruding it out, to make it have thicker walls... Other than that I don't know what to tell you, but I run into that problem all the time, either try makeing the walls thicker, or experiment, using Nurbs planes, or Poygon planes, that sometimes works to. Thanks,
Brian
P.s. How do you get GI_Joe to work "inside" With all of the lights still effecting the objects inside? How are your lights set up?? THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 4 22-01-2003 , 06:59 PM
Also keep in mind that GIJoe is still working off of his older idea of a psudo light-dome, meaning that like an ambient light, GIJoe light is coming from all directions.

So if your object is open at the top, side, or bottom, light will get inside somehowuser added image

One way to cure this is by not choosing the "Floor lights" option upon setup.

If you need floor light, then another option would be to:

1. Create a separate maya light.
2. set it to not cast shadows.
3. set the intensity to a negative value.

Like the doc's say, this will act like a black hole, sucking light intensity from the area close around the light.

Just my 2 centsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 26-01-2003 , 04:51 AM
Turns out the walls weren't thick enough, cheers Brian.

The edges need to be thick, meaning i can't just have say two cubes meeting at the edges or i get the same results. So i've sort of must merged em into one and it's come up quite nice.

::edit:: also, that's only a medium quality render as my hdd has shit itself and if i try to render it at production quality my PC resets.

user added image