Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-09-2003 , 07:32 PM

I booted myself out from college.

Well after a year + 1 quarter in CAL State Hayward, I have dropped out and came back to my parents house here in Washington State.

In the beginning I was enthusiastic about college but then as time went by I found it boring and much more like a job that i need to do but dont LIKE to do. I did reading on alot of threads and articles about going to college to be able to get a job in something that I like to do (which is making 3D art of course), and I decided that Im gonna drop out, and do it all on my own.

So instead of doing time for classes and essays, i will be, doing MORE classes and assignments, BUT they will be on my own and they will be with 3D.

Now to me, YOU guys here in the Simply Maya community are my classmates because I will on this place all day everyday even until I master Maya. Im a noob right now, soon I will get better with the help of you guys course.

Im also waiting on a part-time job at Bestbuy close to home so I can have $ to buy points (for the vid tuts) and books for 3d graphics and computer equipment.

I just wanted to introduce myself to this community, so hello user added image

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 2 18-09-2003 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
good luck, hope it works out for you user added image

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 3 18-09-2003 , 07:37 PM
Welcome to SimplyMaya user added image

I believe I have to finish college no matter what .. which is way I haven´t done much work in Maya, just participate in the site. user added image

# 4 19-09-2003 , 06:15 AM
Subscriber
Before going through college i took 2 years and worked and reshearched and found that for 3d i needed to attend an art school. More specifically i attended Ex'pression Center for New Media. they worked me like a dog but i got my AS degree in a year and a half. im 13 units short of my bachelors and its 2 years since i graduated. now im working for a game company doing in-game char models and textures... look into going to an actual art school or a school that specializes in 3d... i learned that the 4-year college thing was SO NOT FOR ME =P

anyhow good luck =)

# 5 19-09-2003 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
I always admire people who knows exactly what they want and will work however hard to get it. Doing 3D stuff is the first serious decision I just made recently despite my parents' doubts. Orgeesim, I am proud to have you as a classmate.user added image

# 6 19-09-2003 , 03:34 PM
Thanks guys.

adldesigner: I thought like that before, but one day while hanging out with "old toby", it hit me and that I needed to step out of the comfort zone and do what i really want to make happy.

3dgurl: 4 year colleges are not for me either. Though I also did my research and based on previous accomplishments, i feel I can learn everything on my own and with the help of this community and other sites. I did consider going to Academy of Art in SF when i used to live down in cali, and also DeAnza for its animation program (my friend is in it). I guess now its more work for me cuz I have to be the teacher to myself at the same time the student. Hope i dont go loco on my own self assigned assignments hehe.

HappyLemon: And I admire people like you too. Who are doing what they really want and making their own decisions (with careful thinking and planning of course) in order to do what will both work as something that will make themselves happy and earn a bonus while doing it

($$$ is just bonus to me, the real money is in the experience, knowledge and enjoyment I will get from it)

Again, thank you guys for the positive comments. Im glad you understand my view of things.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 7 19-09-2003 , 03:51 PM
College isnt for everyone. Although, for me, I intend to make it a career. (Can we say Van Wilder?) :p

You gotta do whats best for you, Orgeeism. However, school will give you the edge, will keep you up-to-date more than you can keep yourself, and give you the necessary venues with which to gain employment. 90% of doing 3D is learning the package with which you want to work. And with them changing every two seconds, it can be hard to catch up.

My best advice for you would be to do tutorials. Saturate yourself in them. Don't be a bulldog and go for the kewl stuff right away, it never happens. Start from the bottom and work your way up. Learn the progam, the GUI and what each button does. Then, once you're confortable with your surroundings, start out with some basic modeling, and only model. Once you're pretty good at it, then learn texturing and make those models look good. Once you're familiar with all that, get them moving. ANIMATE! By the time you get to that stage, you should be well on your way to creating some nice stuff.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 19-09-2003 , 08:19 PM
Yeah, i know school will give me the edge. But that depends on what type of school. If i could, i would go to one of those animation colleges, Vancouver Film School or Gnomon or something...If i had the money that is.

And hey, im already doing that model first, then texture and then animate plan. As a matter or fact, I wrote myself a lesson plan. Every morning, I would wake at 6:30 and then start Maya at 7. First 3 hours goes to my SM challenge, then id take a break, and come back to work for another 2 hours on it. After lunch, I start to ponder in my resources folder and do some tutorials and sometimes I'd go back to another tutorial or video, just so that I put it permanent in my head. As I progress through learning modeling, i will go up to the next subject.

Right now through this months' SM challenge, its a good learning process for intro to poly modeling and texturing.

Well im off to lunch, ill post an update to my SM challenge to show the new robot I made during this mornings SM session.

my Sept SM work

# 9 19-09-2003 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
Wow, that's dedication! I'm very motivated! (but maybe a nap first....)

# 10 19-09-2003 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
I was also going to do what you've done and spend my time at home learning 3d using SM video tutorials and burger king DVDs. But in the end i decided that as well as help improve my traditional media skills art school would help improve my creativity and even though I’ve only just started i think it is and will. I've now just started a 2 year course in graphic design and photography at national diploma level.

# 11 20-09-2003 , 12:31 AM
Welcome to SM

Ballz move. I my self dont have that option. If i get into colege, im stuck there, because i could never afford to go again.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 12 20-09-2003 , 01:23 AM

Re: I booted myself out from college.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by orgeeizm
Well after a year + 1 quarter in CAL State Hayward, I have dropped out and came back to my parents house here in Washington State.

In the beginning I was enthusiastic about college but then as time went by I found it boring and much more like a job that i need to do but dont LIKE to do. I did reading on alot of threads and articles about going to college to be able to get a job in something that I like to do (which is making 3D art of course), and I decided that Im gonna drop out, and do it all on my own.

So instead of doing time for classes and essays, i will be, doing MORE classes and assignments, BUT they will be on my own and they will be with 3D.

Now to me, YOU guys here in the Simply Maya community are my classmates because I will on this place all day everyday even until I master Maya. Im a noob right now, soon I will get better with the help of you guys course.

Im also waiting on a part-time job at Bestbuy close to home so I can have $ to buy points (for the vid tuts) and books for 3d graphics and computer equipment.

I just wanted to introduce myself to this community, so hello user added image
[/QUOTE
i did the same thing although i lost intrest in 3duser added image for a while but know im back into 3d which is cooluser added image

www.cgmaya.tk
# 13 20-09-2003 , 03:08 AM
Lost interest??? How could you?? Hehe. Well its good that now youre back user added image

# 14 20-09-2003 , 06:55 AM

Originally posted by orgeeizm
Lost interest??? How could you?? Hehe. Well its good that now youre back user added image

More common than you would believe. user added image

# 15 21-09-2003 , 03:53 AM
if you keep up that routine orgeeizm, you'll be a pro in no time!
i've been trying to set aside time, similar to what your doing, but am finding it increasingly harder with work and school in full swing.

good luck to ya user added image

________

- Jacob