Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-02-2009 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber

Philosophy change

I have come to the realization that I need to make more small detailed pieces instead of taking on huge projects. When I take on huge projects I seem to be taking shortcuts.I have posted a lot of work and only three projects people have really liked. My monroe character, my old sheriffs office and a furnace room scene. I realize that those where smaller scenes and I put a lot more detail into them. I am not ready to do large scenes yet i guess. Even with the crits one thing I do know is that I know how to model, I have to just focus on small scenes because I went through a lot of 3d portfolios and every one of them had small detail scenes and maybe a few at most big scenes. Thanks for all the help but I won't be posting anything for a while until I do some work that I don't really need to ask anyone I know it's good.

# 2 24-02-2009 , 01:57 AM
The Nurb Herd
i think what you need to do is have a WIP thread. This would be a much better way of learning rather than not posting anything and not hearing opinions on your work as you go along. by having a WIP you can improve on things you may not notice. it is also a more professional way of working. People in post production or games studios don't work on something without some sort of feedback.

Even with the crits one thing I do know is that I know how to model

no offense, but I'd like to see more of your wires before i agree with you there. you're not lacking in confidence!

# 3 24-02-2009 , 07:52 AM
Yeah, Ive got to agree with Dom, a WIP's the way forward, dont lock yourself away just because you've had some crit. Use it to your advantage.

If you want to take on a large project then locking yourself away to do it is a sure fire way for you to start to take shortcuts as you'll get bored as hell without any inputs.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 24-02-2009 , 01:28 PM
Senior Software Developer
Crits are a positive aspect of people looking at your work (ok, not all are but you ignore the pointless crits and concentrate on the ones giving advise).

Stating I know how to model does show a slight arrogance, there are people who have done this for a long time and are still learning new tips and techniques in every aspect of the pipeline.

Wires are important, just because you render looks ok does not mean the mesh is any good. You will learn that the hardway, if you are having problems.

I always do projects in chunks... Doing a full scene in one go is complex and costly, so break it down into chunks and only import the other models of scale or referece, then composite the renders or import all models into a final scene and render.

I will shortly be re doing my Nintendo Wii Model and render as an accidental data issue means I lost all of my old Maya, XSI and Realflow projects. I will be modelling the different elements of that seperately and then bring them together for a final render and testing.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 24-02-2009 , 01:35 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Banksta

Crit is probably the best way forward to improve. I appreciate you sending me emails but I cant always crit especially right now, Im so busy theres no room to fart!!

Keep at it and get the crit, its the best thing...dont switch off and assume you got it cracked, it wont be the case

Jay