Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-10-2008 , 07:28 PM

Vertex painting and axmain?

I've been creating inventory for the Unreal 3.0 Engine, and recently came across something I need to solve.

I have a skeletal mesh which I've exported with axmain, and I've also exported just the skin as a static mesh using axmesh.

The skin has been vertex painted, so the material which is being applied in Unreal 3.0 can respond to the info using its alpha channel.

The static mesh responds correctly, going transparent where the skin has been painted black. The skeletal mesh does not. The same (and only) material is applied to both meshes.

Now this could be some weird problem in Unreal 3.0, but I suspect it's rather because the vertex painting info is not being exported when I export the mesh/ref pose with axmain. Is there something extra I need to do to make sure this happens? Should there be some notification in the logfile of the vertex painted info?

Thanks in advance!