Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 76 13-03-2009 , 12:38 AM
Chirone: The polycount isn't that far off a million so with my crappy Pc I am pushing it! I had a decent photo with just two clouds in it so may use that or another if I find a better one. Here's a close up of it just to have something different to show, I know there's some stretching on the turret by the windows and I've just fixed it, apart from that I've randomized the pattern on the wall texture and generally just tinkered on and on as usual....

Got to sort out the bay window roof thing as well but just don't know what to do with it at the moment!

Attached Thumbnails
# 77 13-03-2009 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
Looking good however my only crit would be that your brick textures seem huge! which is why your doors and things look tiny or your doors and things are tiny.

From what i can tell the building is a massive building from the outset but your textures throw off the proportions scale them down and i think everything will look a little nicer.

Bricks and Doors

Just a quick google gave me that.

Edit : i wouldnt change your light bricks tho they look spot on.

# 78 13-03-2009 , 12:53 AM
bigtommyb: I agree totally with your crit, the only thing is the finished render will be from quite a far view, and when it's that far back the brick texture looks crap, that's why I enlarged it, maybe I'll try settling halfway between the two and see how that looks. Thanks for the comments though!

# 79 13-03-2009 , 01:05 AM
I went with scaling up the doors a little to compensate, don't want to sacrifice the brick texture in the long shots really, hopefully should look a bit better for the next update!

# 80 13-03-2009 , 01:59 AM
Good call Dango77. I agree about scaling up the door. If you look at the steps leading up to the door, the door is definitely way too small. But, even after scaling up the door, the brick texture might still be a bit large.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 81 13-03-2009 , 02:13 AM
Perfecto: You're probably right, I'm rendering a long shot at the moment (no pun intended) to see how it looks, I'm guessing I'll have to scale the brickwork down a fraction but at least with the doors smaller it won't be as much. Wish i could check the textures with the hardware texture on in the panels, but I can't even isolate one object and put it on high quality without it chugging along let alone that, so I'm having to check all my texture sizes with the maya software renderer every change I make to them!

# 82 13-03-2009 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
I cant beleave I have missed this one for sooooo long.

Its looking very good but I think you have a major problem with scale all over. You have put a lot of work in to this - I can see that but there are so many areas needing correction.

Take the image above - the steps are half the size of the door and the rails above it are 3/4 the size of the door. The pillars look out of scale as well. But yet they look fantastic if they were viewed by themselves.

Then there is the bricks. Now my house has bricks like that and I just counted 28 rows for the side of my front door alone. I think you got about that just for the whole house.

Do you have a model of a human - if so import him in and compare the whole scene to him. Do this on the textures, doors windows - everything. It will not take as long as you think and the results will be worth it.

And keep it up - it looks like you`ll have a great looking final piece.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.
# 83 13-03-2009 , 12:58 PM
tweetytunes: Thanks for the pointers, it is slightly out of scale here and there, I think I went a bit mad on trying to make it a huge house,with huge stairs etc and lost it on a couple of bits here and there, I shall go about fixing it a.s.a.p! As I said in an earlier post, the problem I have with the sizes of the textures is that I have to actually render an image every time I want to check anything as I have no way of previewing it so it's become a bit of a chore to do! But thanks for the crits, it all helps!

# 84 13-03-2009 , 01:20 PM
put your cursor over your perspective view port and press the number 6. That should allow you to view your textures in the workspace without having to render.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 85 13-03-2009 , 01:53 PM
Perfecto: Thanks but it's wasn't the not knowing that's the problem, it's that my Pc freezes up when I do that, it can't handle having all the textures in the viewport at once! I can't even isolate one object and do it, I'll struggle on somehow!

Actually I just tried it and it is working, but the textures don't look anything like their rendered versions and the delay on the movement is terrible!

Nope,infact when I try and put it on the high quality renderer Maya crashes every time! Need to upgrade to a super computer I think, when I win the lottery that is....

Last edited by Dango77; 13-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.
# 86 13-03-2009 , 03:21 PM
The Nurb Herd
dont bother with the HQ renderer thing...

if you are having a problem previewing the textures, just render the scene without the sun ansd sky on, as this adds on final gather and what not. you could just render it out in maya software to preview it.

# 87 13-03-2009 , 03:26 PM
Hammer.horror: Yeah, I've started doing that to check on the textures, can't believe I wasn't all along, well, I know for the future now! Can't work out how to turn the sun and sky off without having to actually delete it, then I have to reset the angle and everything, do you know how to at all? As always I appreciate the advice from all! user added image

# 88 13-03-2009 , 03:59 PM
The Nurb Herd
just select maya software in the render settings and switch on use default lights.

# 89 13-03-2009 , 04:05 PM
Gotcha, I was trying to turn it off in mentalray, duh! Thanks h.h!

# 90 13-03-2009 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
or you could hide it, Ctrl+h to hide and H (shift + h) to reveal selected object
commands can be found in the Display > Hide and Display > Show menus
you can select hidden objects in the outliner or the hypergraph

also... what are your hardware specs?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D