Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 91 13-03-2009 , 11:40 PM
Hi Chirone, the only problem with hiding it would be how do you select the sun and sky, would it work to highlight it's node in the hypergraph, then do ctrl+h?

My Pc is pretty crappy, it's a small form factor for starters, which can be good I guess if it's running well, Intel Dual Core, 4gb Ram and a geforce 8400gs 256mb, not bad but not the greatest. Low-end not high-end!

# 92 13-03-2009 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
a hidden object in the hypergraph gets greyed out, and in the outliner it becomes blue
just select it in either one of them and make it not hidden

i attached a screen shot to show you... the sky in this scene was hidden
sorry if its an unwelcome image to your thread
this brings back memories of when i had no idea how to do texture mapping and nothing got named from the default names...

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 93 14-03-2009 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
My Pc is pretty crappy, it's a small form factor for starters, which can be good I guess if it's running well, Intel Dual Core, 4gb Ram and a geforce 8400gs 256mb, not bad but not the greatest. Low-end not high-end!

Its better than mine P4 - 3.0 mh, 2gigs of ram, geforce 6800 gt 512. My baby can still do alot but is past her sell by date (just don`t tell her that)

# 94 14-03-2009 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77

sounds better than mine, I have a pentium 4, 3.2ghz, 3gb ram, the only thing that makes mine deal with maya any better is using a Quadro FX 3450 graphics card, maybe thats what is getting you you're lag, your graphics card.

# 95 14-03-2009 , 01:06 AM
Ok, sorry to you both, with all I've read on core 2 duo's and quad cores I thought I was lagging behind somewhat, it probably is just my graphics card, which I'll be upgrading soon if I can get some cash together. I 'm really new to the whole world of Pc's so I do apologize if I sounded moany, I know very little and it's just a pain when you have a world of ideas in your head but the hardware doesn't do what you want it to! I guess you know that yourselves! My respect goes out to everyone trying their best with what they've got! user added image

# 96 14-03-2009 , 04:51 AM
I took several peoples advice and have re-sized the doors, and reduced the size of the bricks, and I'm glad I listened, it is starting to look better, added a sky but it's just the wrong blue so will have to re-do that, but all in all getting there!

Attached Thumbnails
# 97 14-03-2009 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
one quick question - Did you set up the light to be coming from the back - I think it may look better pointing at the front door.

The small improvements are noticeable - well done

# 98 14-03-2009 , 11:36 AM
Thanks Tweetytunes, there's actually three lights in the scene, the physical sun is pointing downwards and slightly to bottom right to create main shadows, and there are two directional lights each facing the front of the house (one from left,one from right) at slightly different angles to each other to pick out edges on walls etc. I'm still playing about with the lighting so it may change again, any suggestions are welcome as always!

# 99 14-03-2009 , 11:45 AM
Here's another street view to show the changes from a different angle, have changed the sky again, mentalray really does take the color out, I made it really quite nice and blue in photoshop but it hasn't stayed that way! Will re-do it,again....

Attached Thumbnails
# 100 14-03-2009 , 12:48 PM
The Nurb Herd
don't make the mistake that its mental ray taking the colour out!!

its the sun and sky, its a "make it look good" button, but it doesn't come without problems. like most quick fixes, you just need to tweak it.

Its coming along tho. user added image

btw i think i have a worse computer than all of you! ...just a macbook

# 101 14-03-2009 , 01:00 PM
hammer.horror: I've turned this into a "who's got the crappest computer" thing haven't I....lol, sorry to all for doing that! I didn't mean mentalray,the sun and sky was what I meant, you're right about the tweaking, I've been tweaking myself silly this past week, (sounds a bit suspect, no witty combacks on that one pls...) Thanks for the comments, it is coming along, have taken Tweetytunes thoughts on the sun direction onboard and am rendering a shot with the sun pointing at the front of the building, it's looking good so far, will post it when it's finished.

# 102 14-03-2009 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
Looking much better with the bigger doors. The crit i have is still on the red brick texture the bump seems way to big dont be scared of being slightly more subtle.

I would also add some different plants around the house as its a little repetitive all being the same and if you look at any garden there is always a variety of plants.

Finally the sky seems really dark - just keep tweaking away!

T

# 103 14-03-2009 , 01:50 PM
Thanks for the crits bigtommyb, you are right about the plants, I'm deleting some of the geometry that isn't in the frame as I think I'll keep the scene framed where it is, and that way I'll be able to add a little more again. The brickwork does need more work on it, and the sky too, finding it hard to get it the same as it looks in photoshop, but I'll keep trying!

# 104 14-03-2009 , 04:23 PM
The Nurb Herd
maybe try manually lighting it?

# 105 14-03-2009 , 04:42 PM
I might well do h.h, I think I'll finish all the tweaking to the texturing and geometry first, then when I'm happy I'll give the lighting ago. The only thing is I tried lighting it before but if I use more than two lights I start getting mentalray fatal errors, so I'd have to lower a whole load of settings bringging me another problem to deal with! I'll see if I have time to give it another go before the deadline.