Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-12-2010 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber

Dog Model

After finishing the tutorial on how to model a dog, I went to convert from polygons to subdiv, yet nothing was happening. I then went back to before I joined the two halves and it worked perfectly. I have adjusted the slider to the maximum value and still nothing. This might mean that there is to much geometry?

I was planning on rigging this model in the future, so if anyone could assist me with this problem it would be appreciated.

# 2 07-12-2010 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
is there an error message on the status line at the bottom?
if it says something about a polygon limit then you should up that in the subdivide options

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 08-12-2010 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber

Dog Model

This is exactley what's showing up.

editMenuUpdate("MayaWindow|mainEditMenu");
ModObjectsMenu MayaWindow|mainModifyMenu;
CreateSubdivSurfaceOptions;
performSubdivCreate 1;
subdivCreateCallback OptionBoxWindow|formLayout86|tabLayout2|formLayout 87|tabLayout6|columnLayout18 1;
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 10000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
autoUpdateAttrEd;
updateAnimLayerEditor("AnimLayerTab");
statusLineUpdateInputField;

Any ideas?

# 4 08-12-2010 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber

polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 10000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
a

im sure you can figure it out user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 09-12-2010 , 12:25 AM
EduSciVis-er
maxPolyCount is set to 10,000, so increase that in your options.

Yeah, spell it out, Chirone.

# 6 09-12-2010 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
aww but now you just spoon fed him the answer..

but i suppose reading that log is probably not that easy...

# 7 09-12-2010 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks very much. I do have one query though. How do I increase the max poly count past 10,000?

I have clicked on the box beside "Poly to subdiv” and dragged the "maximum base mesh faces" slider to the top which is 10,000. I have also tried typing a number in, yet nothing happens. Is there some other option box that I need to open?

If you know any solution it would be appreciated greatly, thanks.

subdivCreateCallback OptionBoxWindow|formLayout86|tabLayout2|formLayout 88|tabLayout3|columnLayout17 1; hideOptionBox;
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 100000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
autoUpdateAttrEd;
updateAnimLayerEditor("AnimLayerTab");
statusLineUpdateInputField;
if (`window -exists OptionBoxWindow`) deleteUI -window OptionBoxWindow;
saveOptionBoxSize();

# 8 10-12-2010 , 10:28 AM
yep. what they said.

Oh in an attempt to actually add a useful bit of information - In the lower right hand corner of the UI there is a little icon that looks like a window. This brings up the SCRIPT EDITOR, which has a command output history on by default. If you do not have the maxpolycount set high enough, maya actually gives you a message to the effect "maxpolycount exceeded, try increasing". Which is rare, as programmers usually like to add more arcane error messages along the lines - "operation failed - error 34". user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-12-2010 at 11:21 AM.