Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 106 08-09-2009 , 11:28 PM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by hammer.horror
hehe, camel tail is the male version of camel toe. user added image

...model looks good, are you going to rig it?

@mastone: I think he means it may be a bit "tight" in the "front" region... :p

# 107 22-12-2009 , 12:09 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Finally had some time again to work on this project.
I got my hands on a book called ZBrush character creation written by a guy named Scott Spencer, which I reccommend to anyone who is struggling with getting the fine details in their models amongst other things.

I have played around with handpainting a texture and getting it back into Maya and light it in different ways .
I have made some adjustments to the overall model aswell.
Let me know what you think

Attached Thumbnails
# 108 22-12-2009 , 06:20 PM
The thin red line
I love your model but some thing not right about his skin texture or it could be the lighting......dave

# 109 23-12-2009 , 01:17 AM
Hi Dave
You could very well be right it was a firsttime handpainted texture and keep in mind this is just a colorpass on a blinn no translucency or other SSS-stuff.

I have fiddled some more in maya/ZBrush and have tried to harness that monstrosity called maya hair (and fur for that matter) I have a hardtime believing that companies actually use that @$#%.
It works counterintuitive and feels outdated I really hope that they make something like shave and haircut preferably even something better.
Nonetheless here's my progress of the day which mostly went in creating the hair(s) which annoyed me considerably

Here's a highres image btw
https://www.3dhype.com/leden/784/big_...d-2%282%29.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
# 110 23-12-2009 , 10:49 PM
The thin red line
maya hair sucks, but you have got some good results, I have tryed using fast skin (head model WIP) I think this is the way to go to get a relistic look but it will take a lot of tweeking..........dave

# 111 24-12-2009 , 07:17 PM
yes I know what you mean, they should call it Maya rope or Maya agony.
it's annoying really that they call it hair but you have to comb the hair with newtonfields LOL.
And I am well aware of skinshading but i really don't want to fiddle with that stuff when testrendering thanks for the heads up anywayuser added image

# 112 26-12-2009 , 02:04 PM
That's nice work, it's him and very feel. user added image

# 113 26-12-2009 , 10:37 PM
Why thank you user added image

I have tried a different lighting set up since i got strange results on the fur and skin bump when rendering with my test HDRI set up( and turned of FG)

It's a bit dark and since i have a very bright monitor it would be a bit darker at some of your monitors, but I really think the contrast light/dark adds to the atmosphere

Attached Thumbnails
# 114 28-07-2010 , 08:29 AM
Long time no post.....I was really struggling with how to rig the clothes and how to do the hair, I have an idea how to do this now, so hopefully you guys see some reall progress soon.

If anyone is struggling with NCloth in clothing and how to rig I can only suggest this tutorial:
https://store.autodesk.com/store/adsk...=1280305519473

It's a to the point tutorial ( no endlesly talk about the history of stuff just shows some tips n tricks in short :just right for me).
for the hair I can recommend this :
https://www.joealter.com/index.htm

C&C welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 115 05-08-2010 , 02:38 PM
Looking very good Mastone, definitely a good likeness going on. Joe alter shave and hair is killer and the new version is even better. You now get to see hairs live in your view port as you change the haircount, width, + you now have some new features.

Keep going and look forward to seeing a textured version with sss

# 116 08-08-2010 , 12:47 PM
I have taken the base mesh back into Maya, since I didn't have enough geometry around the mouth and eyes( resulting in hardedges ) So I have added inner mouth and eye geometry, which sadly meant I had to do a lot of the sculpting over again ( Changed the number and order of the vertices/different UV layout etc)
But it also meant I looked at it with a pair of fresh eyes and have made a considerable better sculpt for it.
I also tweaked the base geo in Maya so that at the lowest level the entire model consisted of only around 5000-6000 poly's which I hope speeds up animating considerable.
I really want to try Motionbuilder for animation, but haven't decide as of yet
I also played with a " little" software package called Vue for adding surroundings and such and just like joe alter it's really easy to pick up I do wished that I could switch the UI in Vue to Maya navigation but could not find it ( getting a bit schizofrenic with al the different hotkeys from al the different packages LOL)

See the progress I made below

C&C most welcome of course

Attached Thumbnails
# 117 08-08-2010 , 01:06 PM
The head is looking good.
Chest and stomach need more work ... they are a bit strange now. Shoulders + Byceps also need work.

Keep it up this must go till the end user added image

# 118 09-08-2010 , 09:54 PM
Hey Coldwave how are you ?

" Keep it up this must go till the end user added image"
- I get the feeling that this project will be the end of me indeed LOL.

And thanks for the crits, you are absolutely right.
On my defense I will say that I don't intend to make a 100% bodysculpt which resembles the work of Michealangelo, it's just so that I get a feel if the proportions are right and got a bit carried away with the detailing ( ZBrush has that effect I've heard user added image )

So:
I have tweaked Indy once more in another refinement pass, showcasing my insane drive for getting the best out of it, but once more I do believe it has been a lot better for it.
I have exaggerated the scar on the chin a bit so that when I do a smooth pass or whatever I don't accidentally rub out the scar, I also found that if the scar is to subtle it doesn't show in the displacement/normal -map ( in the render that is).

I hope that tomorrow I will make some progress on the skindetails.
( I also hope that I get my Zbrush 4 tomorrow with GOZ in it it will make life a lot easier user added image )

C & C is again most welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 119 10-08-2010 , 10:03 PM
You Guys are probably getting sick of ZBrush renders of a certain archealogist already, but I am posting one again ( yes sorry user added image )

I have been adding pore details and I am very happy with the results of a couple of hours work , I didn't want to overdo the pores and such but tried to keep it nice and subtle

Hope you guys like it as well.
I hope that tomorrow I will get a decent start at the colortexture with the help of my dear friend Scott Spencer ( his book that is user added image )

Attached Thumbnails
# 120 11-08-2010 , 11:42 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow Mastone............bloody good work mate. That looks like the man himself!!! Like the progress mate...cant wait for some animation on this one!!! Jezz must be some long hours in there mate

Keep up the good work

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes