Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-06-2003 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber

Importing Illustrator files

Help. I'm trying to import an Illustrator file into Maya to animate a logo. Required result: Logo should retain original CMYK color scheme.

I have tried numerous time to import the file from Illustrator and keep getting nothing in the workspace after the import. No error messages...nada.

I read that I need to convert my vector file to paths before importing. Don't know how to do that cause I thought Illustrator files were paths and that might be my problem. Have tried exporting the Illustrator file to .AI and .EPS with no luck.

Any help preciated user added image

# 2 21-06-2003 , 01:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
I was under the impression that it only imports curves and not any fill colors or whatever that you might have been using.

I don't use this feature much, so I may be mistaken.

# 3 21-06-2003 , 03:02 PM
Mike, you´re right. The only thing it imports is the curve itself. He has to either plannar fill it, or loft it with something to create a surface, and then shade it using the correct color values.

@sjurick
Try saving in an older EPS version (for example 7).

# 4 21-06-2003 , 03:07 PM
I haven't used illustrator in about 5 years. So i'm not exactly sure how the program works. But it's a vector based program that draws everything out of lines and curves. So if Illustrator actually exports these lines, then is there an option to export as an .IGES. I use IGES format to transfer CAD files into MAYA.

Check to see if you can export to IGES. I'm not sure if you can with Illustrator.

Sorry if I was of no help.

Good Luck.

- Matt
# 5 21-06-2003 , 03:21 PM
Just checked around.

Saves as:
  • PDF
  • AI
  • EPS
  • SVG
  • SVGZ

Exports as:
  • DWG (Autocad drawing)
  • DXF
  • BMP
  • CGM
  • EMF
  • JPG
  • PCT (Mac)
  • SWF
  • PCX
  • PSD
  • PXR (Closest to Pixar I´ll ever get) user added image
  • TGA
  • TXT
  • TIFF
  • WMF

# 6 21-06-2003 , 03:31 PM
What does Illustrator do? I have no idea, lol

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 7 21-06-2003 , 03:38 PM
Adobe Illustrator is Graphic design Program that draws 2d graphics out of lines and curves.

This way you can zoom in or out on the drawing without loosing any quality.

Basic images get all ditorted when you zoom in. But Illustrator allows you to keep all you edges sharp and you colors clean.

Adobe Illustrator

- Matt
# 8 21-06-2003 , 03:40 PM
Adobe Illustrator is the industry standard for vector drawing. If you ever want a shot at graphic design, you will surely need to learn this piece of software.

Adobe Illustrator Overview

# 9 21-06-2003 , 03:41 PM
LOL Mshoward. Fast guy. user added image

# 10 21-06-2003 , 03:41 PM
It also does a lot more. Just can't explain all.

- Matt
# 11 21-06-2003 , 03:42 PM
By the way, The devil in my avatar is made in Illustrator. user added image

# 12 21-06-2003 , 03:42 PM
LOL

- Matt
# 13 21-06-2003 , 03:48 PM

Originally posted by adldesigner
In Graphic Design -and imagery in general- you have two types of images, bitmaps and vector graphics.

• Bitmaps are images composed of a pixel reticule, in which each pixel has a RGB value, thus creating a big mosaic of pixels. This mosaic when seen from a distance -In reality this is resolution dependant- form an image. If you resample a bitmap image to a higher size, since you can´t invent information from nothing you´ll notice the mosaic nature of these images.
    A perfect example of bitmaps imagery is found here in SM, as all the images are bitmap-type.
    Bitmaps editing applications are your common photo image editors, such as PhotoImpact, MS Paint, and the industry standard Adobe Photoshop.
  • Vector Graphics are images created by the use of mathematical formulas -thus the vector name, as they are governed by these mathematical principles-, which is why these are resolution independant. At whatever resolution you see them, they´ll look the same.
    These images can be seen in almost all the articles you have in your kitchen, house, car ... etc. They offer versatility in almost all aplications, they´re even used throughout the web -Flash images are vector based animations compressed for delivery on the Web-. Editing these images is quite similar to playing with curves in Maya, since the Bezier principles are almost the same -I say almost since I don´t know if Maya uses another type of mathematical curve-*
    Most common vector editing applications are CorelDraw, Freehand, Flash ... and again an industry standard, Adobe´s Illustrator.
When you render an image in Maya, you´re actually rendering a bitmap image. Although this works perfectly for screen-delivered ads, movies etc, it starts to get cumbersome when used in printing industry -Since vector delivered images are easier to work with when printing and offer generally better results-. With all this said, you can see why vector rendering in Maya is spreading some ripples throughout the industry. This would make Maya work more or less for everybody, including ... us. Graphic Designers.

Some resources:
InfoNotes: Raster vs. Vector Images
Project Cool´s Graphic Zone

This should help some, user added image

By the way sjuric:
Try this tip from BulletProof. Save as *AI (version 8)
Illustrator eps?

*EDIT: NURBS are different from Beziers. Entirely different equations.

Last edited by adldesigner; 21-06-2003 at 03:55 PM.
# 14 21-06-2003 , 04:09 PM

Originally posted by adldesigner
Mike, you´re right. The only thing it imports is the curve itself. He has to either plannar fill it, or loft it with something to create a surface, and then shade it using the correct color values.

Another powerful way to create surfaces from curves is Maya's BevelPlus feature (a very underrated and underused feature, IMO).

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 15 21-06-2003 , 04:13 PM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
Another powerful way to create surfaces from curves is Maya's BevelPlus feature (a very underrated and underused feature, IMO).

Ahh true.
Hehehehe saw you checking your facts first through my Little Brother window. user added image