Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 27-08-2003 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber

Room

Ok have had to move up a couple of gears (even though I probably won't actually have enough completed by the Competition end date - am going to do my best to get as much in as possible) I started a room, but it really does look very small.!

I may start again and just TRY my best to get the scale right this time... (Must be my 6th room by now!)

P.S. - I found the camera lens settings in the 'Camera' attributes!

BTW do I use 'Area lights' to simulate Incandescent lighting?

I had an Idea to put two area lights back to back, with the top one set at say 70% intensity to simulate a light bulb... you think that may work?

Thanks all user added image I am getting somewhere now and loving every minute user added image You're twisting my melon man!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 28-08-2003 at 12:18 AM.
# 32 28-08-2003 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
Anyone know how I can make the blinds cast shadows?
(Sorry it looks nothing like a Lab, am going to try changing some things and adding a desk etc

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 28-08-2003 , 05:41 PM
looking good so far!!!
as for the blinds....try putting an area light or a directional light behind them and make them cast shadows

- TwEeK
# 34 28-08-2003 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
Doh! I put a light behind, I forgot you had to 'turn on' shadows!
Thanks .....

# 35 28-08-2003 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
To simulate bounced light (for stills), you will want to check out Final Gather and Global Illumination in the Mental Ray renderer. Takes a bit of tweaking to get good results and acceptable rendertimes, but it's worth it. Nice progress by the way, you are obviously learning fast. :thumbsup:

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 36 28-08-2003 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
That's looking great - you are on a roll. Keep it up!

# 37 28-08-2003 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm - I cannot get "Mental Ray" working, (when I select It shuts maya down user added image ) but I have a new problem aswell, well a few....

There are these 'speckles' I think they are coming from the floor but even though the walls are Lambert and don't have a 'reflectivity' setting in the Attribute Editor .. I still get speckles?
Any ideas?

Next one is I think, (?) to get the blind casting shadows I need to use 'Directional' Light.. But I have messed about with raytacing and all settings , but got no-where until I used 'Area Light' any Ideas?

Oh yeah, I finally have an Idea! (wow.. about time !) .... This "Mad scientist guy" has made a 3D application (Maya prob)Turn the models into real life objects/beings, oh yeah and his Lab is in his 'lounge' user added image - BUT - If I don't have time.....
He's/She's gonna invent a big Gun! - Hmm whadaya think?

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 28-08-2003 at 08:53 PM.
# 38 28-08-2003 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber

My Problem shots.....

Speckles...

Attached Images
# 39 29-08-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber

Hmmm Raytace=Speckles ....

Will try Depth Map and see....

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 29-08-2003 , 01:39 AM
I don't see how it is a Mad Scientist's lab, but it looks nice user added image

# 41 29-08-2003 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber

Wot Lab???????

Me neither, but the 'Master Plan' will become apparrent later on (hopefully), Muaghahaha!!!! Cheers... user added image

Oh yeah and this Scientist is on the 'Dole', or something.... user added image

# 42 29-08-2003 , 01:13 PM
Subscriber

My (Home) Lab, another piccy.

I used to have a friend that took everything he came into contact with to pieces to see how it worked...
One time he even took the 'Magnetron head' out of a Microwave Oven and placed it in the garden.
He then invited, (well press ganged really) some local worms, flies etc to sit atop the 'head' while he connected the power using a long extension lead..... user added image

This is my tribute to all those really crazy eccentric people out there.....who make the world so dangerous to live in... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 29-08-2003 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
LOL! That is so funny! Uhhh....so what is this object supposed to be? :-)

# 44 29-08-2003 , 04:19 PM
wow man....its really looking good!!!
keep it up!!!

- TwEeK
# 45 29-08-2003 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber

Need a Coily cord and a Mesh...Please..

Hmmm - HappyLemon, You never seen behind/in your fridge? heh you ain't lived till you do!!!!! try it sometime.
(Sorry my tablet is overdue)

It's supposed to be a back shot of a Fridge. -

1./ I would really like to make a mesh (They always have them over or is it under? the curved pipes) but I haven't the faintest idea how I could make one. user added image
Oh and they don't normally have radiation stickers on either.

2./ Ooo Ooo Ooo! - Anyone know how to make a 'Coily telephone cord' ???????? I do have a copy of a script (written) but am unsure how to use that...

3./ Ooo Ooo! and how the flipping heck do I make a 'puddle' of liquid on floor....?

Any help or critsisms will be much appreciated.

user added image Regards Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 29-08-2003 at 07:00 PM.