Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-02-2007 , 02:50 PM

Maya Complete or Maya Unlimited!?

I want to get into Maya, and hopefully have a good animation or short game finished by the time I go to college ( so I look all the better to them) and I was wondering if I should get the Complete maya 8.5 or the Unlimted maya 8.5.
Whats the difference? Any help would be great!

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 2 24-02-2007 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
Quote From Wikipedia

"Maya unlimited version comes with an advanced set of tools not available in the Maya complete version.

Maya Fluid
A realistic fluid simulator (effective for smoke, fire, clouds and explosions, added in Maya 4.5)
Maya Cloth
Cloth simulation to automatically simulate clothing and fabrics moving realistically over an animated character, for example. The Maya Cloth toolset has been upgraded in every version of Maya released after Spiderman 2. Alias worked with Sony Pictures Imageworks to get Maya Cloth up to scratch for that production, and all those changes have been implemented, although the big studios opted to use third party plugins such as Syflex instead of the (relatively) cumbersome Maya Cloth.
Maya Fur
Animal fur simulation similar to Maya Hair. It can be used to simulate other fur-like objects, such as grass.
Maya Hair
A simulator for realistic-looking human hair implemented using curves and PaintEffects. These are also known as dynamic curves.
Maya Live
A set of motion tracking tools for CG matching to clean plate footage. "

Hope thats helpful to you
Good luck and hope to see you around here with some work soon

# 3 24-02-2007 , 11:46 PM
If your a student I think that theres no difference in the price between the licence for unlim or complete (i might be completly wrong!)

If its just naimation that your after then I cant see any difference between the two to be perfecly honest (although cloth might help you out if you need clothing and maya 8.5 now had nCloth which is superb IMHO)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 25-02-2007 , 02:45 AM
Senior Software Developer
Just had a look at a site called student software.co.uk and complete is £210 and Unlimited is £260. But for the extra £50 you get nCloth, Live, Fluids, Hair etc... Well worth it I say.

https://www.student-software.co.uk/shop/prd262

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 25-02-2007 at 02:48 AM.
# 5 25-02-2007 , 04:05 PM
Excellent! Thank you! I just have two more questions, whats the USB hub thing that doesnt come with the complete but comes with unlimited, and what proof do you need in order to get the student discount? Ill probably be going for the Complete since I don't think nicer clothing texture and the other stuff is too essential... and I'm not the one buying....

# 6 25-02-2007 , 08:12 PM
This is from the CG Talk Archive and pretty much covers the question you ask:

Q: Who is qualified to buy software through your Web site?

A: Registered students, active faculty members or academic institutions can qualify for educational pricing. Students that have graduated or are no longer registered as active will NOT be able to purchase software at educational pricing. We also carry some non-academic products, which are available to anyone. These products are identified with an “N” at the end of their item number.

Q: Do I need to send my academic ID every time I place an order?

A: We keep your academic ID on file. The ID is valid until the expiration date indicated. If your ID does not have a specific expiration date, it will be valid during the current dated semester or school year printed on the ID. Should your Student ID be non-dated then a class schedule would provide better verification of enrollment.

Example: If the ID states “Spring 02” you can order until the beginning of Fall 02 semester, at which time you will need to send in Fall 02 verification. ID’s dated 02/03 will be current from Sept 1, 2002 to Sept 1, 2003.

I think that if you are under 16 or a full time student then you would qualify. Best bet is to contact Autodesk Sales and ask them directly.

Check out https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=7635018 and maybe get the free PLE Version to learn with.

Or https://www.autodesk.com/cgi-bin/dblo...PE=ST&STATE=NJ being in NJ I would say you have to lump for:

Studica
Jeff Mazzone
440 Ridge Street
Lewiston, NY 14092
www.torcomp.com
888- 561-7521
888-561-7521

716- 754-2807 Fax

https://www.torcomp.com/Alias/#Maya

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 7 27-02-2007 , 07:09 PM
Thanks for the help! Ill be ordering Maya this weekend!

# 8 28-02-2007 , 04:33 AM
I was also wondering how long it takes to make like a 20min animation, once you have the characters completed?

# 9 28-02-2007 , 05:38 AM
An example I use is:

Finding Nemo took 5 years to make. This is from idea to concept to the final product. I took 2 years to animate and 1 year to render in the Pixar Render Farm.

I would say a 20min anim could take about 6 -9 months for one person to do. Set your aims lower and do a 5 min one, its far easier to do on your own and is far more likely to be achieved. still 5 mins could still take over 1 month to complete.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 10 28-02-2007 , 06:17 AM
Thats amazing, well I guess anything good doesnt come easy... Thanks for your help, ill be starting my tutorials soon! I should be a good member of this forum by next week this time!