Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-04-2015 , 08:16 PM

School to home and vs.

Hello everyone!
I am having an issue with getting my project folders to open on the computers here at home and at school. Uh... to clear that up, if I make a project here on my Dell pc at home and take it to the Cintiq computer at school I cannot open the project. I mean I CAN open it, but its empty. I read some posts about how different OS's can make the files incompatible... but I do not really understand. I'm not too good with Maya yet, and this is the third time I have had to restart my project.
If anyone knows why this may be happening, and how I could possible fix it, I would appreciate your response.

-M.

# 2 02-04-2015 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
I'm not at my computer now. But i think if you click on the open or import option box you can click something like "read old versions". That might help. It did for atleast

# 3 02-04-2015 , 09:57 PM

I'm not at my computer now. But i think if you click on the open or import option box you can click something like "read old versions". That might help. It did for atleast

Thanks for the reply!
That makes sense, and on that note I looked up a video of someone doing that. The issue now is that I cant find the 'Ignore Version' option.
This video I found is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43uM1LUR9vc. The Maya used is 2011..
And my Maya is 2014 version... I can find the 'Ignore Version' thing anywhere! I've attached a screenshot of what my import menu looks like.

From all the research I think that the version at school is 2013, and I am using 2014. Something about Maya adding some new somesuch that makes the files unreadable in older versions. Still doesn't explain my problem... or how the heck I find the magical 'ignore version' button. And oddly enough few people want to open old stuff in 2014... most links are for opening 2014 in 2013. :/.

-M.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 03-04-2015 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber

hmm

Weird! It should be there!

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 04-04-2015 , 02:03 AM
Super Moderator
That's because you're looking at the "import" options Malinil. File>Open>options is what you want.

- Genny
# 6 04-04-2015 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Well, ignore version is in my import box aswell :S

# 7 05-04-2015 , 01:56 AM
Just to prove that I am not crazy...

And thank you for your input! I did not think to look under my open options tab. I cant seem to see it, but I still very much appreciate your response to my question! user added image

Would this have anything to do with Preferences? I am really sorry about how helpless I seem to be with this. I only started to learn maya last week for school. Thank you for your patience with me!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 05-04-2015 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
Ok, i might have found the sollution for you. Apparently they moved the ignore version button in Maya 2014 to the prefrences tab. This is what a user on another forum wrote:
Try saving your scene as a MA or maya ascii formate.
In Maya 2014 goto Maya's Preferences - under Settings - Files/Projects - goto the Version Tab and check Ignore Version - try importing the file into a new scene .

# 9 09-04-2015 , 12:50 PM
Banned

Solution!!!

am having an issue with getting my project folders to open on the computers here at home and at school. Uh... to clear that up, if I make a project here on my Dell pc at home and take it to the Cintiq computer at school I cannot open the project. I mean I CAN open it, but its empty. I read some posts about how different OS's can make the files incompatible... but I do not really understand. I'm not too good with Maya yet, and this is the third time I have had to restart my project.
How To Remove WhatsApp Blue Ticks
If anyone knows why this may be happening, and how I could possible fix it, I would appreciate your response.

Last edited by Raizo; 09-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.
# 10 21-04-2015 , 04:57 PM

Ok, i might have found the sollution for you. Apparently they moved the ignore version button in Maya 2014 to the prefrences tab. This is what a user on another forum wrote:
Try saving your scene as a MA or maya ascii formate.
In Maya 2014 goto Maya's Preferences - under Settings - Files/Projects - goto the Version Tab and check Ignore Version - try importing the file into a new scene .

PROBLEM SOLVED!!
I'm so sorry it took me so long to reply, school gets crazy around mid terms. I love you so much right now, you literally just saved my project! I had it 90% done at school, came home and basically had a nervous break down cause maya apparently deleted EVERYTHING! I did what you said and bam!... its all back!! I appreciate this so much!!! <3

# 11 21-04-2015 , 05:11 PM
Subscriber
Sure mate, glad to help user added image