Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 01-09-2003 , 05:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
lol, well, I like the LotR books, and the movies are pretty cool so far, although TTT wasn't as good as FotR in my opinion. user added image

To each his own.

Harry Potter is crap! Mwa ha ha! ;D

# 17 01-09-2003 , 06:06 PM
Harry Potter can eat his own vomit. :p

# 18 01-09-2003 , 06:09 PM
Harry Potter is great, though, for 12 yr old girls and for encouraging kids to read. I've seen more children who, before the HP books were released, state that they abhored reading who now will read all 500+ pages of the newest HP in 2-3 days. You can hate them, but they've got our kids off the playstations and back into the libraries. user added image

/me steps off mom-soapbox user added image

# 19 01-09-2003 , 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Nataliia
All I could see on screen was Maya being used - with some plugins of coarse[sic]...

But...if you could *see* it, doesn't that mean they failed? I would much rather watch a movie with tons of effects and never know where the real stuff ended and the CGI began, than to be able to see one bit and say "wow, that was a nice bit of CG in that spot there." Or...maybe I'm too particular user added image It's been pointed out before that I am.

Actually depending on your knowledge of how it was done there will be a point were no effect can work for you. You will see em all(almost always), but for most people it will "work" (in that sense of cg success)

hey it was the bible who said that with knowledge came pain?

What youre saying is a common syndrome among those who study audiovisual arts... Cinema and storytelling in genaral is based on the "suspenssion?" of the disvelieving of the audience. Suspending the disbelief is harder the more you know of how its done. (or you are actully dissecting it instead of letting the history go inside your brains, right now i have to make a conscious effort to just sit there and enjoy)

If you ever study audiovisuals there are lots of classes wich consist on seeing some footage, then telling how was it done, then ripping it to its smallests chunks to study it, and then discussing it, then next day trying to use that info... (we spent 5 hours syudiying just a 8 min scene of hiitchcock... and i loved it, devil (in this case hitchcock) is on the details... (same can be applied to cg...)

# 20 01-09-2003 , 06:19 PM

Originally posted by dragonfx
Actually depending on your knowledge of how it was done there will be a point were no effect can work for you. You will see em all(almost always), but for most people it will "work" (in that sense of cg success)

hey it was the bible who said that with knowledge came pain?

What youre saying is a common syndrome among those who study audiovisual arts... Cinema and storytelling in genaral is based on the "suspenssion?" of the disvelieving of the audience. Suspending the disbelief is harder the more you know of how its done. (or you are actully dissecting it instead of letting the history go inside your brains, right now i have to make a conscious effort to just sit there and enjoy)

If you ever study audiovisuals there are lots of classes wich consist on seeing some footage, then telling how was it done, then ripping it to its smallests chunks to study it, and then discussing it, then next day trying to use that info... (we spent 5 hours syudiying just a 8 min scene of hiitchcock... and i loved it, devil (in this case hitchcock) is on the details... (same can be applied to cg...)

Well said.
That´s the way I feel about this topic too.

# 21 01-09-2003 , 06:28 PM
[i]Suspending the disbelief is harder the more you know of how its done. (or you are actully dissecting it instead of letting the history go inside your brains, right now i have to make a conscious effort to just sit there and enjoy)[/i ]

Yes, I understand this as I'm a bit of a history buff and tend to tear apart movies like Joan of Arc and Braveheart to the point that, not only do I not enjoy the movie on its own terms, but neither does anyone sitting around me. user added image

I do, however, find SciFi suspension of disbelief easier when I can't immediately spot the effects and have to either watch a "making of" special or later work it out in my head. If I watch (for example) the new Hulk movie, and can see immediately the difference between "Real Life" and the CG Hulk, then it's not as fun for me.

However, this, like genre-preference in general, is very individualized. What I like, or dislike, will greatly differ from what someone else will.

# 22 01-09-2003 , 06:30 PM
1 they "gay thing" was already in the books (reading between linesuser added image) and specially if you consider affinity and close friendship between man as gay (did you saw any penetrations there?),

2 There are friendships better than sex (and i mean it with friends of both sex) in the sense you can be closer to em than with people you knew and went to bed with that same night ...

3 Penetration between males, have you tested it? I hadnt. So if the response is no as mines, you cant speack with knowledge of it...

4 Expanded freedom form restrictive society: maybe if he had wroted it now it would be explicit, who knowsuser added image.

5 And lets supose they are gays... so what. And as for the success of the movie, then again so what: you americans seem to love Almodovar´s movies even if theres always some gay thingie in em... user added image

(you can simplyfiy mu position as i dont care a shit they are gays, as long as thay are cool people.... and if they ever feel interest on you (and its unwanteduser added image) just state it and theyll desist)

# 23 01-09-2003 , 06:33 PM
harry potter is not oly great for childs, its grat for the author who will never have the neccesity to work again on its life... user added image *envy*

# 24 01-09-2003 , 06:34 PM

Originally posted by dragonfx
3 Penetration between males, have you tested it? I hadnt. So if the response is no as mines, you cant speack with knowledge of it...

ROTFLMAO!
A friend of mine liked to say: "All of us are potential gays, as much of us haven´t tried it before, thus we wouldn´t know if we do like it or not." (or something along the lines)

I told him I prefered to not know at all.

# 25 01-09-2003 , 06:39 PM
the best tolkien novel is the hobbit, which is almost as much children novel as harry potter... and i would read it even now "im an adultuser added image" so what... when you loose your child part something is ****ed with you...

(goes back to dig on its books as he has 1 exam tomorrow and 3 next day)

Last edited by dragonfx; 01-09-2003 at 06:41 PM.
# 26 01-09-2003 , 06:42 PM
Read some adult books for crying out loud. user added image

Last read in my case was a book called "JackDaws" by Ken Follett. Had a lot of fun with it.

# 27 01-09-2003 , 06:46 PM
Hmm, now that I looked into it.

Film rights to 'Jackdaws' sold ...
Renowned producer Dino De Laurentiis has bought the film rights to Jackdaws. Dino De Laurentiis produced Red Dragon, Hannibal, Breakdown, Unforgettable, Year of the Dragon, Ragtime and Blue Velvet, amongst many others. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including the American Academy's Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award.

That´s some great news!

# 28 01-09-2003 , 06:54 PM
well right now im with bukowsky,beigbeder and stuff like that, (yep i know its just that until recently i was on that phase of my life...user added image)

I can recommend u "distress"(/en cristiano "El instante aleph") by Greg egan, "los pilares de la tierra"(dunno the original name)by K.follet, DUNE F.herbert, "Criptonomicon" N.Stephenson ... i can go on and on...

como han traducido el tirulo de jackdaws al español? que hacen cada perreria con los titulos que...
(now he truly goues back to study (hopely)user added image)

Last edited by dragonfx; 01-09-2003 at 06:56 PM.
# 29 01-09-2003 , 06:57 PM
Pillars of Earth is a great book.
Have very good references about it, I intend to make that one my next read.

# 30 01-09-2003 , 07:00 PM
Lo leí en ingles hermano.