Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-04-2017 , 11:24 PM

working with nurbs surfaces, cv curves, etc to Polys?

Good day all!

I was watching an older Digital Tutors tutorial on modeling an interior. I had a question about specifically when he creates an iron sculpture that is part of the room's bannister. It's great, and quick how he does it, however, my only question is why not convert to polys.

My understanding is, nurbs/curves/surfaces, don't render, which is one reason we use them for rigging. However, if I was to render this cool room, I'm assuming they wouldn't render. I'm asking this question, because I have and still do, use curves/surface to build things like crown molding, complicated shapes that I can draw quicker and then loft between them. However, if I leave them as curves, am I mistaken that they won't render properly?

Should I convert them to polys?user added image

# 2 04-04-2017 , 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
NURBS surfaces render like normal, some renderers even support the option of rendering NURBS curves (like Arnold). Except for some base shapes that I convert to poly and continue modeling, I generally avoid NURBS, especially at this point since the tools have fallen behind polys + smooth preview.

- Genny
# 3 04-04-2017 , 04:42 PM

nurbs over polys

NURBS surfaces render like normal, some renderers even support the option of rendering NURBS curves (like Arnold). Except for some base shapes that I convert to poly and continue modeling, I generally avoid NURBS, especially at this point since the tools have fallen behind polys + smooth preview.

Thanks!

I found drawing the profile of a molding and then lofting it to be the quickest way to generate the molding. So basically, just convert it to polys and not worry. I do have Arnold, so I guess I could leave it, but just for my general pipeline, I'll convert it to polys to keep it consistent.