Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-12-2005 , 08:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

KING KONG

All you boys n girls get your butts over to www.3dTotal.com and download the 4minute preview of King Kong.

Just awsome and nothing even happens, I look forward to this movie I tell you!!

Jay

# 2 02-12-2005 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
yeah! I was looking at that last night, man. I'm definitely looking forward to it too user added image

# 3 03-12-2005 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay,

Downloading now. I can't wait to see this one either!!

Cheers
Paul

# 4 03-12-2005 , 02:47 AM
I saw that this morning too...looks really nice...the CG looks unbelievable.....I'm really looking forward to the T-Rex/King Kong fight..I wonder who winsuser added image looks like another winner from peter jackson

# 5 03-12-2005 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
I acually thought that it looked a bit dodgy (I saw this the other day). No doubt it will still be brill, but I wasn't convinced, I was expecting to be totally blown away.....and I wasn't. Maybe its staring at all this CG stuff day in day out!

I'm still going to be rushing off to see it though user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 6 03-12-2005 , 11:21 AM
I must agree to it looking dodgy but I saw the trailer at the cinema and it changed my mind with the scale of it and sound. The new download was a bonus

Jay

# 7 03-12-2005 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, I guess I need to see it at the cinema really to get a good look. I only saw it on our monitors at work, listening through headphones. The music did sound great though as well. I'm worried that people are going to be comparing it to LOTR seeing as its a Peter Jackson. I hope its every bit as good as those movies, not just for the effects, but for the acting and story as well. I'm a bit dubious at Jack Black being in the movie, but he could be surprising!

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 8 03-12-2005 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
As good as LOTR was, for me I'm going to enjoy this movie so much more, because of the fact that I grew up watching the old King Kong movies.

When I watched this preview, I saw no dodgy bits . . even though my wife was trying to point them out to me user added image All I saw was King Kong full of emotion and personality user added image and that was enough.

Yes I'm a fan!! I'm sure I will enjoy this as much as AVP.

Oh and I'm betting you will be very surprised with Jack Black!

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 03-12-2005 at 01:20 PM.
# 9 03-12-2005 , 03:45 PM
well...i've watched it a second time (looking for the dodgy bits as you lisa and jay pointed out)...I guess I can see where you can base that from...but I'm gonna blame it on my monitor as well...lol....I have no doubt that it's gonna look great in movie theaters.....
I heard something about a tv special on king kong last night....an insiders look I believe...but I couldn't find it?...did anyone see it or am I just hearing things wrong?

# 10 03-12-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
I think I must be the only person in the world who is NOT looking forward to this, and I absolutely refuse to go and see it! I have a couple of reasons for this that I'd like to share with you, just to see if anybody else shares my views.

1) It's another bloody remake. Most films nowadays seem to be either remakes of classics (which spoil the appeal of the original - The Ladykillers is a prime example), or are related to a video game. To me, neither of these have any appeal whatsoever.

2) It's a Peter Jackson film. Now, don't get me wrong - what he did with LOTR was incredible in the way it was made, but personally, I think the story is about the most boring thing I've ever come into contact with. The first LOTR film was the first time I've ever fallen asleep at a cinema. The second film was marginally less sleep-inducing, but the third film was the first time I've ever walked out of a cinema screening.
Other Peter Jackson films I've seen also bump up my dislike factor for his work.
The Frighteners was a pure load of rubbish, even though I like Michael J Fox. It was just plain boring. It's billed as a Horror/Comedy, but there was nothing comic in the whole film.
Braindead, on the other hand, was just sick, and I'm not even going to go into any more detail than that.

All in all, I've seen 5 Peter Jackson films, and have hated every single one of them, which, as I said, probably makes me the only person in the whole world that is not looking forward to King Kong.

Anybody else share my views?

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 11 03-12-2005 , 09:10 PM
I'm an open canvas to the film as I vaguely remember seeing king kong when I was a kid but not since. I remember watching Joe Little/Strong? (or something named similar which was about a smaller king kong) and that was good fun as a kid.

1) not so, thats quite a narrow viewpoint on all the films that regularly come out. Just grab a copy of empire and read through all the new and upcoming releases. Look past the blockbusters as there are some great smaller budget original films.

2) I enjoyed LOTR, they did an admirable job of trying to get close to the book. To say that the first book is fairly boring, they did a good job of livening it up. The second and third films did well in retelling the story and made a great character of gollum.
Didnt realise the frighteners was jackson's - I thought it was light hearted and fairly decent entertainment in not trying to be bigger than it could be.
Not seen braindead so can't say anything about it.

Just saw Harry Potter tonight and that was fairly decent, good general entertainment telling an average story and looking good user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 12 03-12-2005 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kennez

1) It's another bloody remake. Most films nowadays seem to be either remakes of classics (which spoil the appeal of the original - The Ladykillers is a prime example), or are related to a video game. To me, neither of these have any appeal whatsoever.

Man that's a real bummer for you, because most films are remakes of either older movies, books, Games etc

That really doesn't leave much to like. . . are there any movies you like that are 100% original??

I don't mind seeing different interpretations of stories.

Cheers
Paul

# 13 03-12-2005 , 09:30 PM
Yeah I agree in a way with the fact its another remake, and yes The Ladykillers remake was absolute shite, how dare they remake that AlecGuiness one its one of my favourite all time movies for sure.

The original Kong is just excellent, I recall Pete Jackson saying how he made the Weta Team watch it before starting on this one, and how they laughed at the though of watching the 1933 version but were just awe inspired after watching it, I think the film will be just fantastic, the emotion conveyed in the latest clip is brilliant, and nothing is really going on, Kong has beaten the crap out of the T Rex and taken Ann Darrow to his place to watch the sunset. Top Man!! I think realistically it will be one of the best films we are gonna see - remake or not. I guarentee you will most likely cry at the end.

For those who are going to compare it to LOTR trilogy, get real, as its a different kettle of fish altogether, it would be like comparing Gone With the Wind against Spidey.

Lisa: Yeah Jack Black, I was unsure too as hes more renowned for his comedy acting but I think judging by his performance on the trailer and documentry stuff we could be in for a surprise. So...

Cheers peeps
Jay

# 14 03-12-2005 , 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Jay

For those who are going to compare it to LOTR trilogy, get real, as its a different kettle of fish altogether, it would be like comparing Gone With the Wind against Spidey.

Very true Jay, I think a lot of people are going to look at it this way and not try and see the big picture so to speak.

To be fair I saw the trailer when watching Harry Potter and thought that the SFX for the home of the "tribe" (sorry not seen the orig) looked very much like the mine's/workshops at isengrad (sorry if its spelt wrong) in LOTR that I drew some comparisons, BUT i'm gonna watch it as if I aint a clue who directed it/ made the Sfx etc and just judge it on the film itself.

# 15 04-12-2005 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
I don't think Kennez was comparing it to LotR, he just wrote that he probably wouldn't like KK because it's a Peter Jackson film, and thinks all the films he's seen by him sucked...

On the other hand, I don't really get your critiques of LotR Kennez. You say that you think it sucks because the story was boring, but you're impressed with how it was made. How is it Jackson's fault that the story is boring? Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood your post user added image

EDIT: How come nobody's mentioned that it's Andy Serkis playing King Kong... Surely I can't be the only one who's noticed! user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"

Last edited by blomkaal; 04-12-2005 at 03:51 PM.