Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-08-2006 , 02:20 AM
Lifetime Member

ep curve issues

trying to follow the Spitfire tut
when making the wings I create 2 curves with the ep curve tool, rebuild the curves, then loft ...

it seems output is already polygon geometry (instructions say to convert nurbs to poly) and when extruding faces I get top and sides but no bottom on object.
have deleted and retried a dozen times all with the same result

anyone have an idea what i`m doing incorrectly?

TIA

# 2 07-08-2006 , 11:24 PM
mmm.... probably nothing. You might try doing the extrusion the other way, but if that doesn't work...
Well, there are a couple of other options; one would be to duplicate the faces, then, after extruding one of them, boolean them together. The other would be to extrude the faces, then extrude edges across or as needed to close the object.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 03-09-2006 , 05:19 AM
1) you can set your output geometry being - nurbs, polygons, subDs and bezier.

2) one thing I could imagine is you somehow didn´t extrude the whole geometry but only a part of it. when extruding the complete geoemtry a bottom plane is automatically created to close the mesh. if you extrude just a single or some faces there is no bottom cause this would "double-close" the object, which means you´d get a non-manifold geometry. (more than 3 faces per edge).

Attached Thumbnails

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 03-09-2006 , 05:40 AM
Lifetime Member
thanks for an informative reply falott

I was under the impression curves created nurbs
so, where is it I define the output geometry, in prefs or settings?

as for selection, I choose faces, drag mouse across and hilight whole wing, then I go to faces/extrude
it appears to have selected everything ( panning around object)

I`ve done this almost 2 dozen times and have gotten so frustrated I`ve shelved the spitfire for now, until I find out what it is I`m doing wrong :headbang:

# 5 03-09-2006 , 07:35 AM
hmm.. you could try to select all faces again and then invert the selection. maybe there are some zero area faces. other than that you might convert it to subD and back to poly. don´t forget to delete any blind nodes then which might be left. look it up in the hypergraph. click in and output conection there. this is my solution to allmost any inexplicable issues.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 6 03-09-2006 , 08:25 AM
Lifetime Member
actually, you caught the issue with your original post, while waiting I found the geometry output was set to polys
changed it, deleted the wing & rebuilt and everything works as kurt says it will user added image

I appreciate the help user added image

# 7 03-09-2006 , 03:28 PM
the better way to select every face is to actually select the node in 'object' mode. Then, if you hit 'extrude poly face' it extrudes everything.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com