Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-11-2002 , 04:53 AM

Controlling animation with sliders.

Is it only blend shape deformers that can be animated with sliders?

or

Is it possible to tie the opening/closing of a finger to a slider, where 0 is fully extended, and 1 is fully curled?

Dan

# 2 25-11-2002 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
I believe you can slide the extending and curling of a finger using driver keys. I'll explain this in the morning if no one else has posted. I'm too tired at the moment.

# 3 25-11-2002 , 04:14 PM
dkouts yeah you can make blend shaped, for hands if you want but it will be a lot of work. You have to make copies of the oringinal hand, then model each one of them into the shapes you want (index curl, fist etc)

I would suggest you just make a hand skeleton then bind the hand and use the set driven key to make your finger shapes. Using blend shapes on the hand will take you a very long time.

Its faster to make the skeleton for the fingers and bind, then making each hand shape.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 25-11-2002 , 05:07 PM

# 5 25-11-2002 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
clean up your channel with the channel control, then add an attribute, and do some sdk

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 26-11-2002 , 01:15 AM
Thank you all for the replies. This is a great community.

OK - Youre right, I wouldnt actually USE blend shapes for an opening/closing fist, I was really just saying that it seems that you can only access the neat control of sliders (which I like) with the blend shapes function.

Or am I wrong?

Dan

# 7 26-11-2002 , 01:24 AM
Wrong in a sence!!!You will not have the cool sliders but if you make a locator and parent it to the wrist joint you than can add attributes to the locator like index curl/fist ect.

Once you use the set driven key to make the movements, you will have the index curl attribute in the channel box. If you select the index curl, then click the middle mouse botton move it left to right, the curl would work kinda like the blend shape sliders.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 26-11-2002 , 02:07 AM
Thanks again Kurt - food for thought.

Time to go and implement all these techniques now I guess.

Daniel