Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-02-2007 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber

wat should be the resolution of maya image sequences?

I wanted to ask wat should I render my maya image sequences for a 4:3 ratio. I useally do 1k but the problem is that when I take it to after effects and rerender and then take it to premiere and do a final render I loose a lot of quality having to rerender the same frames with added effects. So Im thinking should I render my maya images to say 2k and as it goes down the line the quality change wouldnt be as bad? or is there some sort of image type that never loses quality from program to program. ive been using png so far.

oh and also, what aspect ratio do you guys find more favoreable. I've been doing 4:3 so far but I dont know if I should do widescreen 19:6. I like the widescreen better but I dont like the black lines on the tv too much and a lot of people dont have widescreen tvs really. let me know what your opinions are.

# 2 12-02-2007 , 05:10 PM
Not too sure what you mean rendering at 1k or 2k, just use the resolution for the system your using. (PAL 720 x 578 (I think off the top of my head))

Ive never had problems with loss of quality (using maya->After effects->Avid Express pro) so it could be your settings from one to the other.

I usualy render out at std 4:3 but have been playing with widescreen. end of the day its up to you and the what you need it for.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 12-02-2007 , 06:21 PM
Long story short: The thing is to keep everything uncompressed until the very end of the pipeline...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 12-02-2007 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
for 1k i meant 1024x768 which comes down to 720x540 after premiere for what encore(dvd authorizing) lets me import.

I try to keep the images as uncompressed as possible but when I export image sequence with after effects there was no option for uncompressed. The closest thing it has is best dept or somthing. So I tried doing all the other formats such as targa or tiffs but the best it could do was just as bad as when I used png sequence. Ill try sending a side by side render comparison when I get home.

and gster123, just out of curiousity, since you havent been having quality probs with your after effects to avid express what have u been exporting your images as?

# 5 12-02-2007 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
here it is:
user added image

# 6 12-02-2007 , 11:10 PM
why do you have to re-import to premiere? after affects can perform the same quality cuts, effects, and edits that premiere can, just not as "forehead slap" easily... i'd say just do all your work in after effects and export the final product from there. screw premiere.

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 12-02-2007 , 11:10 PM
that's an After Effects problem. You should render out your .mov as animation. When its in your render queue click on lossless>format options. Animation is the best. If you try doing video, for example, it might look like that.

# 8 13-02-2007 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
lookn at what all after effects can do i definitly could lose premiere. but the main reason I use premiere is mostly for the ease of puttin the shots/audio next to each other (the snaping is just so raw man) and for the adjustement of speeding/duration of the shots. I tried doing a couple tests of after effects and premiere and ive noticed that I get more smooth animations during slowed down scenes in premiere whereas in ae the avi was like frame then half a second later frame 2 etc. for slowdowns. although thats important for me, if I do lose premiere than I could go straight from after effects to an AVI and save myself another set of image sequences and increase quality. tough call though.

Last edited by danotronXX; 13-02-2007 at 03:00 AM.
# 9 13-02-2007 , 10:38 PM
well in after effects, for 'slowed down sequences' you could just take an image sequence frame for frame and drop them in, then choose how long each frame is shown... a still image is treated like a regular video clip - so you can control it similarly.

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 14-02-2007 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber
I finally figured out how to get full much MUCH better quality output. I had to go to composition>composition settings> mess with the pixel aspect ratio and change resolution to full. DUH!!!!!
I thought these sorts of things would be all covered during the export sessions but I guess not. But anyways enough about after effects back to maya.
and thanks for all the help from everyone A++++++.
man its a heck of a snow day today!!!