Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-01-2003 , 09:46 AM
Kevin

Febuary Model - Topic

Ok lets get cracking a little earlier on the first Model Of The Month Competition!

Right the 3dMOTM comp will be titled;

"THE ARMY"

This will leave our first comp with a massive range of stuff to use!

So anything at all related to the army - It can be a machine gun, tank, warplane, army man, helicopter, granade etc... so this should be great for all you guy and give you many options. The model should be built from scratch so please dont use old models.

Model needs to be on its own with out props! Model should also be able to open in maya 4. Check out Izzys post on converting maya 4.5 files to 4. If you cannot do this then thats fine as I will add the txt file before it goes up in the model area

Please show progress through out the month with maybe drawings, as well as wireframe shots etc...

deadline is February 28th! - Winner will be announced just after.

Please anounce your final shot with a front shot, side shot and perspective shot, and title as "FINAL"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Winner should then submit there winning model to 3dmodels@simplymaya.com with a txt file giving SM permission to post your model for free download. Add other stipulations if you wish.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As with the Challenge forum please enter your thread as:

"The Army - USERNAME HERE" 1 thread per person please

Ok, chaps! - get them army models rolling!

Good luck to you all.

Cheers,

# 2 20-01-2003 , 02:08 PM
Sounds great. But, I have one quick question, Are we going for 100%, as scale as possible, or are we also able to make our own creations as long as they are along the lines of this contest subject? Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 20-01-2003 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber
Also,
Are we constrained to the year 2003 technology? Or can we get a little futuristic?

Thanks SM,
George

God Bless you and 3D
# 4 20-01-2003 , 04:20 PM
on the matter of the time frame, can we also go back in history?? If we can go forward and such, I think that we should stay from starwars and startrek models. Obviously they can provide insperation and such as far as following style, but I think that we should keep things original if we go forward, I think a starwars or Startrek model based on an actual vehilce used in the movie/shows could be a whole other contest in my opinion. But, thats just my two cents, I will do whatever is in the guidelines of the contest. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 20-01-2003 , 04:31 PM
Kevin
Well as its a little bit of an experimental comp... I would say that we should really stick to the Army been and gone... as we can use the "futuristic" stuff for later modeling competitions.

We have some pretty funky stuff in the army now so theres lots of choice...

So as long as they are within the topic guidelines then thats cool -
Oh also while Im here user added image make sure that you put in your txt file that the model is free for download and NOT for commercial use unless they contact you for permissions.

Then you can set your own rules user added image

Good luck all!!

# 6 20-01-2003 , 04:34 PM
Cool with meuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 21-01-2003 , 12:41 AM
Subscriber
Well, I really wish I could keep this website for myself, but I can't be greedy.

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/index.html

This site has roughly a hundred military-related vehicles and several images to go with each one. What's more is that once you find a helicopter or tank you like and have it's technical name, you can then search for it at Google.com and get even more images. I hope this helps people get some ideas.

# 8 21-01-2003 , 12:46 AM
Kevin

# 9 21-01-2003 , 12:47 AM
Kevin
and if anyone has any army blueprints for tanks helecoptors, guns and alike... that would be very good

# 10 21-01-2003 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber
That one looks a lot like the South African Rooivalk Attack Helicopter, which just happens to be what I will be modeling user added image

# 11 21-01-2003 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber

# 12 21-01-2003 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber

# 13 21-01-2003 , 02:53 AM
Subscriber
WOW! WOW! WOW! I could model all day with those blueprints! Thanks a lot Emo!

# 14 21-01-2003 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
No Problem user added image

the reason I was afraid of posting the link because there might be tooo many people going there and I dont want them to go out of business from unpaid bandwidth bills user added image

One quesiton, instead of the old save method, do you think there is a easier method to save all those to your harddrive? user added image

-Emo

# 15 21-01-2003 , 03:08 AM
Very nice link emo.