Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-08-2015 , 02:20 AM

Box Modelling Technique Problem Needed!

I'm trying to box Model a weapon like the guys in the Gif, but I can't seem to recreate his technique. He Extends some faces to create an extension of the Poly. Basically Extruding it out

I've tried recreating him step by step but I keep running into problems.

Anyone know the technique and how to do it?

Gif of Technique he does:
user added image

when I try to re-create it:
user added image

I get some weird black face on one of the Poly faces
user added image

Help is much appreciated

Last edited by JamieGB; 11-08-2015 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Adding information
# 2 11-08-2015 , 02:53 AM
It seems to be making another face of the poly only on that side within another one; causing the black face., how do I stop it from doing so?

# 3 11-08-2015 , 02:55 AM
Seems it was just that one face messing up, re-creating it the other side had no problems.
Would like to know what caused it though.

# 4 11-08-2015 , 04:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's possible you had an extra extrude operation in there. You need to hit undo twice to get rid of an extrude, once for the transform, and once for the actual extrude. So you might have had an invisible set of extra faces and extruded them again. Easy to do that when you're starting out. You can check that by click selecting a vertex (not drag select) and moving it to see if there are vertices on top of each other. You can run a merge operation or delete the offending area and start fresh.

# 5 11-08-2015 , 09:15 PM
When do I undo tho? When I finished the extrude or before I extrude it?

# 6 11-08-2015 , 10:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you extrude something, then pull it out, and decide you're not happy with it, you need to hit undo twice to get back to the beginning. It's possible you didn't do that and the problem is something else, but I thought I'd suggest it since it's a common problem.