Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-06-2004 , 09:44 AM

Where to start ?

Hi there,

I have noticed that there are so many , resources for Maya and this is great !

I confess that I am a beginner, eager to jump into the world of Maya. I know that this is not an easy task, I am however limited to teaching myself or taking an online course. They dont offer decent courses in Sunny South Africa.

Will somebody please advise me on , which reading material I should have a look at?

Are there some good online indepth courses that you may have experienced and would suggest?

I would be most grateful, for any assistance

Regards

Tewb

Last edited by Tewb; 08-06-2004 at 12:50 PM.
# 2 08-06-2004 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
well the first choice of learning materials is obvious..
view the tutorials in the help files.

second choice, wich is also kind of obvious, could be www.simplymaya.com - buy some points and start downloading videos user added image They are great!

third choice could be www.learning-maya.com for tutorials of all kinds.

I would begin with modelling tutorials and go for simple stuff that interest you.

Remember to have fun while you explore!

good luck user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 3 08-06-2004 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
I'm also new to Maya and I've been lurking around the forums trying out the free tutorials and I'm kind of getting the hang of it. Would the Organic Modeling DVD be a good place to start for beginners? Or would you recommend other tutorials, maybe even the apache tutorial?

# 4 08-06-2004 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
I started with the hand tut on the free section...
little difficult at some times but after alot of watching and posting on this forum I managed to apply the technics from that tut to other stuff...of course after that your not done but you will pretty much get the picture how maya works...

but I would agree what rotbol said....browsing trough the helpfiles will help you very much...

hope to see you 2 soon back on this forum user added image

# 5 09-06-2004 , 11:59 AM

So much to do, so little time, thanks

I wanted to thank you for your suggestions , .... so thank you

much appreciated user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

Ransick

I am going through the tutorials , that should keep me busy for some time.

I see on the learning-maya site, that there are two books that refer to modeling

3-D Human Modeling and Animation, Second Edition - by Peter Ratner

Maya Character Creation: Modeling and Animation Controls - by Chris Maraffi

has any body read them, which one of the two would you recommend , if you were to
choose just one of them.

Thanks Again

Tewb

Last edited by Tewb; 09-06-2004 at 12:02 PM.
# 6 09-06-2004 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Re: So much to do, so little time, thanks

Originally posted by Tewb

I see on the learning-maya site, that there are two books that refer to modeling

3-D Human Modeling and Animation, Second Edition - by Peter Ratner

Maya Character Creation: Modeling and Animation Controls - by Chris Maraffi

has any body read them, which one of the two would you recommend , if you were to
choose just one of them.

Thanks Again

Tewb

these books are not beginners books. the book by peter ratner is not even maya specific. he uses WL i think. and the second, is very advanced character control rigging for poeple who want to rig a complex character (i.e. gollum)

both these books assume you have a clear uinderstanding of 3d or maya and mel.

# 7 09-06-2004 , 02:12 PM
Maya Fundamentals by Jim Lammers (choose your maya version) is really good for getting up to speed...good tuts, step-by-step videos to accompany the book lessons. Highly Recommended.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 11-06-2004 , 06:51 AM

Thankyou you guys are great

Great I feel much better, about my journey into the Maya Universe ...

Special thanks to vladimirjp for the heads up

and an extra special thanks to NitroLiq for your refferal , it looks like a good book , and will be placing an order ASAP.

Till next time

Tewb

# 9 18-06-2004 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
hi, i just came from lightwave, and want to learn maya, i think i get the general idea of maya but i need to learn all the millions of shortcuts, but firstly i wud like to know if there is subpatch in maya? (sub division i think its called in maya). In lightwave u just click 'tab' and u can switch between the smooth organic look and the blocky look, ive tried the surface smooth option in maya but how do you get back to the unsub division look?

to sumarise that confusing paragraph up, i want to flick back and forth from subpatch, anyone know how?