Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 22-10-2002 , 01:34 AM
AHCK! Texturing is one thing that I've not had a strong grasp on as of yet. I do know how to get the job done, but I'm no guru. Ask and maybe I can help.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 62 22-10-2002 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
The Falcon has a huge disc, which would be nice, if textured.

It is a NURBS surface!

Can you help me with explaining how to proportion/place a texure map, made in photoshop, and apply it to this PERFETCLY CIRCULAR nurbs shape?

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 63 22-10-2002 , 08:20 PM
Great detail! How do you cope with the obviously immense poly count?? Do you hide things for modeling, or do you have a supercomputer with 1000 processorsuser added image?
I hope to see it animated soon! Would surely look GREAT!

Regards

Markuz

# 64 22-10-2002 , 08:54 PM
Yeap, I think he does hide them, since he was kind enough to share with us a great tip to hide effortlessly geometry. Check it out in the How I did It Forum.

Thanks again undseth!

# 65 22-10-2002 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
At first things became sluggish to move, when everything was shown at all layers.

Then... my raytrace rendering became sluggish...
And... now a simple rendering has become sluggish, when rendering the whole thing.

File-size has increased from 9 mb to 15 in no-time.

# 66 22-10-2002 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
I did a polycount just now:
Vertices: 111462
Edges 216215
Faces 110622
uv's 176142

I have a PIII 600Mhz, 384mb ram.

Im just curious, whats your polycount Markuz, in that stargate project of yours ?

# 67 22-10-2002 , 09:20 PM
Ouch!, my computer would have exploded by now. user added image

# 68 22-10-2002 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
I'll stay up all night for you guys and I'll try to complete the lady in one final blow.

1) Landing gear
2) Backside with details
3) Shave of some megabytes off the project (i wish)

9) Texturing... (not in the near future im afraid, sorry)

# 69 22-10-2002 , 09:39 PM
undseth: What I normally do when it comes to texturing NURBS is I'll take a snapshot of the window that I'm in which has the best view of the piece that i want to texture. (i.e. : I want to texture the top disk, so I take a snapshot of the Falcon in the TOP VIEW window). Then export that to Photoshop. I paint in the texture over the top of the snapshot, then when I go to assign the texture node for it, I make it a Projection Map and align it to the piece I want to texture.

This is ok for more flat, undetailed pieces. But with something with that much detail on it, you'd probably be better off using a different method as projection mapping will tend to stretch the textures along pieces that are perpendicular to it.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 70 23-10-2002 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
a movie would rule man
theres plenty of people here maybe you might be able to borrow some other star wars models and put ILM to shame user added image
congrats again
how long u been working on it for ?

# 71 23-10-2002 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber

huuh I got really tired last night

Thanks to both of you guys!

It has been some time, since I first started it, but it hasnt taken all that long to model it. It pretty easy to model it also, there are the main parts and then the details. The model only has a few sides to be modeled. I can only guess about the construction time, but I try this: Four weeks with working (roughly).

dave_baer: I'll try that. Im confident that the texture will be really cool. And to your concern, the details are polys, so the texture will lay neatly down on the nurbs surface (right?), which has no details on it.

Sandman got to me last night, but I got a head start, heres a raytrace-directional light-rendering:

Last edited by undseth; 23-10-2002 at 11:35 AM.
# 72 23-10-2002 , 12:07 PM
Supreme Being
it looks really nice man..
i would like to see a wire on that too.. :p

# 73 23-10-2002 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber
excelent work so far undseth

Life is lived forward but only understood backward
# 74 23-10-2002 , 03:06 PM
@undseth:

My polycount in the stargate-scene looks similar. But your model looks as if it would have even more! So many details, and in contrast to my modeling you weren't able to simply duplicate everything and so on, you've modeled every-thing for its own... Every single detail. Man, that surely was a hell lot of work. 4 weeks sound realistic (Although I naturally would have needed much more time for THIS)...
You could try o sell your model to Industrial Light and Magic, the CGI-Factory of Lucas Arts(I think so?) for Episode IIIuser added image...

Stargate-scene:
----------------------
Vertices: 119179
Edges: 206313
Faces: 92104
uv's: 157044
----------------------

Best Regards

Markuz

# 75 23-10-2002 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
Oh, no Markuz, you've got more vertices than me user added image *sigh* ah well...

Sure would like to know how they make the Falcon in CGI's at ILM. I would guess they "cheat" at the first opportunity that comes along, in order to save time/file-size.