Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-08-2006 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber

Trying to Make Day time look like Night

I am about to do some filming during the day and I need the video to have a night look to it. Below is 1 frame from test DV footage.

user added image
Does the above image have any major problems? and does it look nightish?

Any feedback, Ideas and links would be much appreciated.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.

Thanks
Paul

# 2 21-08-2006 , 10:52 PM
its a bit to bright, and the waters reflection is WAAAAAAY to bright. thats the only thing wrong with it

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 22-08-2006 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Joopson,

I should have said something about the water. I agree with you about that. I didn't correct this because the actual footage I take wont have this problem.

This isn't the actual footage I'll be using, just that I needed to confirm that I could get the desired look, so I picked out some old fishing MiniDV footage I had on my PC to try it out.

So I'm guessing other than the water this would pass as a night shot?

Thanks
Paul

# 4 22-08-2006 , 05:23 AM
looking at it on my work monitor (which is well balanced and calibrated) the land and everything looks black I can't see any details at all just black especially on the right hand side. I don't mind the water so much, maybe a little bright but on the whole not too bad.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 22-08-2006 , 06:44 AM

Last edited by gster123; 22-08-2006 at 06:56 AM.
# 6 22-08-2006 , 06:52 AM
It's not looking bad - I don't have a problem with the water, but at the moment everything looks too blue to me. I think you need to get some more complimentary colors in there to work against the blue.

# 7 22-08-2006 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
doesn't look too bad, but it's very dark...with light pollution, moonlight on the water, etc there would be a bit of global illumination that would lighten everything, and make ti not so dark. you want the details in your scene visible, but you don't want to lighten it too much.

# 8 22-08-2006 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback guys, its been really helpful.

Alan,
Thanks for the tip, I'll brighten up the scene a little more. On my screen I can see the rocks on the right hand side, so I'm guessing its a monitor calibration issue on my side. I'll try to find some info on Calibrating my Screen (which I've never done before).

arran,
I completely desaturated the colour so that's why its lacking in any other colours. When I film the actual footage I won't completely desaturate.

gster123,
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at it now.

errethakbe.
I started going through my DVD library looking at all the movies with night scenes. They all seem to have issues don't they. The big thing I noticed is they were all brighter than mine. I guess with night scenes its the Illusion we are after and not reality.

Looks like I can afford to brighten up the scene more.

Cheers
Paul