Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-01-2012 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber

Outliner Export Option?

I have a random question that I'm hoping against hope someone has an answer for.

I am looking to export a text list of all the objects in my Maya scene. Preferably with their namespaces intact, or at least their groups. For example, I have a 'bones' group that has the subgroup 'hand' that has the subgroup 'finger'... etc. It can get much more complex for other anatomical groups, as you might expect.

So, with an entire upper limb in Maya, I was hoping to have a type of 'inventory' export option. That doesn't involve writing or copying every single item out of Maya by hand.

Has anyone run across something like that?

# 2 20-01-2012 , 10:25 PM
Lifetime Member
You can do it by creating a MEL script but i am guessing this might be a little advanced for you.
here is a link that shows how to go about it
https://www.scriptswell.net/2010/12/m...-write-to.html

You should check out the "ls" flag which is a list command, your string would be something like
string $allObjects[];
$allObjects = `ls`;

i am by no means an expert with MEL and perhaps some of the more competent users on here will help more.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner